Chapter 20: Hearing Screams

ELEANORA'S POV
  "Will," I say, shaking his shoulder. "Wake up, Will."

  Will's eyes snap open and he bolts up, hand flying up to curl around my throat. I stiffen, grabbing his wrist.

  "Liam," I hiss, and his eyes widen. He releases me.

  "Nora," He breathes out, exhaling. "What are you doing here? What time is it?"

  I sit facing him on the edge of his bed, and his eyes trail my movements. Even now in the dark his eyes shine a dark blue.

  "Night time," I say, bringing a hand to his forehead. He leans his head against it, shutting his eyes. I doubt he even realises.

  His skin is feverishly hot.

  "Were you having a nightmare?" I ask softly, pushing his black locks of hair which is wet with sweat back.

  Will nods silently.

  I heard his screams.

  "Was it Tessa?"

Will hesitates, then nods. My heart breaks for this boy. I understand him. I know what it's like to want something so far away.

Yet, I feel an ache in my chest. A longing.

"It was just a nightmare," I say softly.

His eyes open and he leans back, away from me. His face clouds over.

"You should go and sleep," He scowls.

"Maybe," I mutter, hand going to the ring at my neck.

Caspian explained to me that when the rings touch, they can be taken off. I chose to wear mine around my neck on a silver chain. In case. Caspian does so too.

Will blinks at me. I laugh.

"I still feel his emotions, you know," I say, fingering the ring. "This only helps me lessen it. It's hard to sleep with two nightmares. He doesn't know."

"Can't you take it off?"

"I'd much rather if I didn't," I say truthfully.

"Why not?"

"He won't be able to sleep," I say, hugging my legs to my chest. I wear a nightgown with a coat covering me.

"How about you tell him?

"I should," I whisper.

Will looks at me. "I'm fine now, you know."

"You're only fine when you're sleeping again."

Will lies back down on his bed, throwing an arm over his eyes. "Just go, Nora. Take off the necklace. Get some sleep."

I stand quietly. "Alright."

I head out and to my room. I sit on my bed, lean my head against the wall behind me, but I don't close my eyes. I don't take off the necklace.

~

"Don't be dramatic, Gabriel," I roll my eyes. "Of course I slept."

"You don't look it," Gabriel grumbles.

"I am fine," I reassure him, shrugging. "Now I need to get going."

"What for?"

"I am simply meeting someone."

"Is it Will?"

"It doesn't matter, Gabriel," I say, grinning. "I'll see you at the Council Meeting."