Chapter 28

Titus' POV

"You haven't put him down or let either of them out of your sight in three days. What's going on."

I snorted. He was one to talk, he hadn't left the infirmary since he finally came back after Avery was rushed there, but he was right I hadn't let James walk on his own or allow Steve out of my sight since I murdered my mother. What she and that traitor Marcus had said about the boys dying by Tony's hand made me want to hold onto them with both hands. Amina on the other hand, wasn't so easy to keep under constant watch. I didn't want her to feel like she didn't have freedom, so I settled for the next best thing and checked in on her via the mind link every hour on the hour. I know it was bordering on obsessive, but he was coming and there was nothing that I could do but wait. I had interrogated Tatiana on several occasions, but she maintained her innocence and I didn't have enough proof to prove that she was guilty of anything than being a bitch. So, in the end all I could do was keep them close enough so that I could keep them safe.

"I just need them to be safe Tony is already after my mate already, I don't want him after my- my"

I hesitated. Were they my kids? Would I be a good dad? Would they even want me to be their dad?

"You may not see it that way, but those boys are yours."

I looked down where James was idly playing with his toes and giggling to himself on my lap. Steve was sitting at the child sized art table finger painting something I wasn't allowed to see until he was finished.

"Nah, I'm sure they both have parents that they wouldn't want me replacing."

"you wouldn't be replacing though, you'd just be an additional parent, you shouldn't try to replace the dads that they already know."

"I don' know my daddy, mama said he's in heaven."

I looked toward Steve who didn't seem fazed by his statement. He didn't leave anyone much time to dwell on it because he stuck his finished painting in my direction, a smile showcasing all of his teeth.

"'m all finished Ty."

I gently grabbed the picture from him, dodging James' hands as he was no longer interested in his toes anymore.

"Wassat?"

"Steve made us a picture, isn't it nice?"

"Look! That's you Ty, and there's Mina and there's Baby, and then there's me! Do ya like it?"

The painting was little more than stick figures that vaguely resembled people but who was I to hurt a child's feelings?

"It looks great buddy, when it dries, I'll put it up on the fridge so everyone can see it."

He looked overjoyed that his work would be proudly displayed as usual but there was on persons' approval he wanted the most.

"Isn't it pretty Baby?"

James nodded his head clumsily.

"Pwetty." He spoke around the pacifier in his mouth

At the sound of his brother's approval, Steve looked at James as if he had hung the moon and the stars.

"Hey why don't we go show Mina your picture, I'm sure she'd like to see it."

He let out what could only be called a screech and took off down the hall toward the kitchen where Amina was sat reading a book.

"Mina, lookit! I painted a picture!"

A breathtaking smile took over her face as she sat the boy on her lap so that he could tell her about his work. I smiled at the sight and squeezed James a little bit tighter to me as he tightened his grip on my shirt and snuggled closer to me.

Yeah, maybe I could be a father to these boys.

**

Unknown POV

I looked in on the little familyfrom my place near the entrance to the kitchen. Why is it that everything good always happens to him? Ever since we were kids he's always been on top. I've never hated someone as much as I hate him. He was chosen as captain in every sport we played in high school over me, he always got girls over me, and now even as Tony is actively trying to slaughter him and kidnap his mate, he gets the chance to be a father those kids fucking adore him and for what? He hasn't done anything special for those little brats and that damn baby looks like he could actually be his son and how was that fair that he has one kid that looks like him and one that could easily pass for mine.

The blonde one.

When Tony comes for Titus and that bitch, I'll make sure that baby dies, it's his own fault for looking like him. But the blonde, Steve, he'll be mine. That'll be my ultimate revenge.

"Quit looking at them like that, you'll get us caught."

"I just want him dead."

"And I want her dead. In the end we'll get what we deserve, and they'll be out of our hair for good."

"I thought you would want her as far away from Tony as possible, he's your mate."

"Oh, I have my own plans for that, she'll die right along with their pathetic wards."

Crazy bitch.

A phone ringing brought us our of our conversation and blew our cover.

Amina looked over at us, that stupid grin on her fucking face.

"Elaine, Jaxon, what are you two doing over there?"

Fuck.
-———————————————————-