Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Amina's POV

Loud whimpering woke me up and I looked down where I was curled around the boys where we had fallen asleep on Steve's hospital bed. But the noise wasn't coming from them, it was coming from the recliner that Titus had been occupying the last few days as we waited for Steve to wake up. He was sweating buckets even though the room was chilly, and he was shirtless, he had a white-knuckled grip on the arm rests as his breathing sped up.

"Please, please don' touch 'em" he slurred.

I gently climbed off the bed as to not wake the boys and silently made my way over to him, I knew better than to wake a distressed alpha unless I was ready to lose my head but I needed to wake him up.

"Titus, Titus wake up."

No response, just more grunting and whimpering.

"No, please don't, he's too little. Don' hurt 'em" he slurred out again.

I moved closer as he started thrashing, low growls building up in his chest, his pleadings of 'no' getting louder and more desperate as I reached out to him.

I gently laid my hand on his chest and he bolted awake with my wrist in a vice grip that quickly loosened when I yelped in pain.

"Sorry, sorry."

His voice didn't sound the same, it was almost childlike, like he was a scared little boy. I didn't reply as I looked closer, his eyes weren't focused, they were glazed over and full of panic as they watered. He was crying.

"Titus? Hey it's okay, everything is going to be okay."

The more I spoke he seemed to come around as my voice grounded him. He finally came around enough that he was able to stand and lean over the bed, a hand on each boys' small chest not bothering to wipe away the tears that rolled down his unshaved jaw as he mumbled lowly to himself, I only picked up on some of what he was saying to the sleeping children.

"I won't let him hurt you, I won't let him hurt either of you again."

He slowly removed his hands and adjusted the blankets around the boys as he slowly backed away, never taking his eyes away from them. I was wary of him, I didn't think he would hurt any of us but I'd never seen him this way, I'd only seen him either calm and put together of full on enraged, I'd seen a softer side to him with me and the boys as well but I'd never seen him this vulnerable, I'd never seen him cry but here I was watching the Alpha King cry over two little boys.

He turned to me and placed a hand on my cheek, brushing his thumb along my cheekbone. The touch was gentle almost reverent as he looked at me, tears still falling. That's when I realized that he was crying over me too. His other hand moved from my hip until it stopped on my stomach where his thumb stroked absently. We stood in silence for a long few minutes until he spoke.

"He killed you, he killed all of you and I couldn't stop it."

And that's when the dam truly burst as he dropped to his knees and let out an ugly sob as he bowed his head, hands on his mouth to muffle the sound. I watched as he rocked back and forth as I slid to my knees so that we would be even in height. I wasn't sure what to do other than to let him cry it out, so that's what I did.

**

"Mama, daddy's sad."

I smiled gently at the tiny boy perched in my lap as I sat next to Steve as we watched him draw. He'd woken up this morning confused, but in good health and that was all I could ask for.