•44•

Jimin is shaking. From where Hoseok sits, he can see it clearly.

He also wasn't the only one to notice it. "Want me to get you a CheongShimHwan pill?" Sung-kyung asks him. "It should help a bit."

Jimin shakes his head.

"You should take it," Hoseok insists next to him. "Jin-hyung used to take them all the time and they made him feel less nervous after a bit."

Another head shake. Jimin is now taking in deep breathes as he stares at himself in the mirror. He's fine. He's really fine. His father can't touch him here, can't hit him or anything. He's safe. 

"I'm fine," he says out loud this time. More to convince himself than to assure the others.

He's not fine. He's anything but fine.

But if he says he is out loud, then maybe he himself can believe it.

Sung-kyung gives him a look but continues styling his hair. She sets it with hairspray so that it can keep its hold, casually showing a generous amount of forehead as his bangs curve to the left. 

Once again she goes for a smokey appearance to his eyes. Jimin has to admit that it's what looks best on him and he can already feel his confidence boost up as he sees the final results.

The stylist appears behind him, holding a hanbok up to him on a hanger.

"Change into this."

Admiring the fabric, his fingers lightly graze the designs. Its a beautiful pattern, gold and black. He slips into it as Sung-kyung works on Hoseok. Once everything is tied into place, Jimin can't help but feel like royalty.

From behind him Shin Donghyuk whistles. "Looking good, Jimin-ssi," he says eyeing him up and down. Jimin frowns at him through the mirror. He still hasn't forgiven the guy for accusing him of 'pushing Seokjin'. If anything Jimin now hates the guy.

Donghyuk doesn't seem to notice his hate. "Dolling yourself up, huh?" he says, throwing an arm over the smaller male's shoulder. "Cute. You're making quite the effort."

"Leave him alone, Donghyuk-ssi," Lee Suwoong says as he stands from his seat, hanbok on and hair styled. "You're always stirring something up. How about you stop now that we have more eyes watching us?"

By that, Jimin supposes the candidate is referring to how all the cameras now have an easier view of them compared to before where they chased after 30 candidates.

Indeed, at this point in the competition, there was almost always a camera watching you.

Donghyuk doesn't seem very amused at Suwoong's intervention. He clicks his tongue at the same moment his stylist calls him over, then with a frown he turns and leaves.

"Thanks," Jimin says to the other candidate.

Suwoong smiles at him. "No problem. I just find it pointless to fight at this point. We should each be focusing on attracting the King's attention, not bringing conflicts between us. Enough things have happened already."

Jimin didn't know if that last part was an indirect message to him, but he didn't question it. There was already too much on his mind.

As the other candidate turns back in his seat so that his stylist can continue applying his makeup. Jimin glances around the room. It was remotely silent except for the small talk between stylists and candidates, plus the low volume of the TV in the corner.

He walks back over to Hoseok, feeling safer there. If he wandered around the room he might get called out again.

It's pretty lonely with just him and Hoseok. Jimin misses the liveliness that came with being here as a group with his friends. Every time he looks at the two empty chairs next to him, he feels sick to his stomach.