Welcome to Society... issues

I look at the hand holding my arm confused and then look up to see who the owner is. "I can't believe this, you are the LAST person I expected to see here... well, not the last, but, wow! This is unexpected. How are you?" I lean in to give a hug to my old friend Louise. "Ugh... We will catch up in a bit. I really must get up there," I say smiling.

As I approach my grandmothers, I plaster the biggest society smile on my face I can muster. I ascend the short set of stairs on to the stage and then address everyone, "Hello everyone, I'm Lorelai Leigh Gilmore Hayden and I want to thank you all for coming tonight, and meeting with me. I look forward to future events with many of you." With a small chuckle, I continue, "And to besting the rest of you in the court room as opposing council." I wink, and everyone lets out a small laugh. Once my speech is over I make haste to depart from the stage and catch up with her old friend from high-school. I'm just relieved it wasn't someone else. I really didn't need the stress of a fight after the day I've had already had. I'm exhausted and feeling not myself as is.

Embracing Louise in a hug I say, "Wow, so how long has it been? What are you doing here? I mean I'm happy to see you it has been forever this was just a surprise."

"Easy Gilmore, slow down or well, shall I say Gilmore-Hayden. I am here with my husband. He is some of the opposing council you just jested about beating," Louise jokes. "So how have you been? I am in love with that dress, wow! Little mousy Rory Gilmore no more are you?" Louise says teasingly.

I am blown away that not only is Louise here, but she is married and apparently to a lawyer. The last time I saw her was spring break when she had a system of guys and partying worked out. I have to admit I am curious about her life and Madeline, "Wow, so you married a lawyer! That's... wow! As you called him my opposing council, I am going to assume it's safe to say he's not a part of my family's empire. So, tell me, who is this mystery man that fit your extensive marriage criteria list?" Chuckling to myself knowing her only criteria was he must be rich and very important.

I see her switch her champagne glass to her left hand and lift it to her lips in an obvious attempt to get me to see her ring. I must say that is one big rock! Whoever her husband is must be good at what he does to drop that kind of money on her ring, I feign being impressed by her ring, knowing it's what she needs, "Wowza! That thing is blinding. Do you have an air traffic controller to follow you around to direct traffic, so it doesn't cause accidents?"

Laughing she looks at her ring in admiration, "Thank you, it is very pretty. My Andrew does have the most exquisite taste. So, tell me, aside from being a Society Royal, what is new in your life? I assume you graduated and are starting law school soon? Do you still talk to that tall dark and yummy farmer boy?"

Making a mental note to find out more about her husband, I decide I might as well answer her questions before prying into her life anymore. "Yes, I just graduated a few weeks ago actually and then I start Law school in the fall. I just barely made it back here in time for the party from a relaxing night in Baltimore," I summarize. I continue answering her questions, "As for Dean, I've spoken to him a little here and there. We are both so busy with our own lives. He got married again and he and his wife have three kids. They actually just had a baby not too long ago. They are so perfect for each other it really is something to see them together. They live and go to school in Chicago, so our encounters are limited to bumping into each other around the holidays."

"So, you mean to tell me he is on his second marriage and it still isn't to you? Huh, I really got that one wrong. That means Madeline was right. So, since he's married and not to you, and you are the reigning queen of East Coast society is there a king in the picture? If not, I'm sure one of Andrew's colleagues would love to meet you. I can introduce you if you want," Louise says suggestively while trying to get Rory to spill on any special men in her life.