tŵëntŷ-0në

Hope is like the sun, which, as we journey toward it, casts the shadow of our burden behind us.

samuel smiles

It was time for my third shift, another morning shift. I pulled on my usual coat over a pale yellow furry sweater with antlers on it.

I put my hands in my pockets and unlocked the door, stepping out and re-locking it.

"Hey."

I jumped at Tim's voice, so clear yet in so much of a monotone.

He didn't sound like his eyes were twinkly and it didn't sound like he was smiling.

I had put out his flame, his sparks.

Instead of him washing me with light, I had cloaked him in darkness.

I turned around, putting on my best small smile.

It faltered, my upper lip wobbling slightly. "Hey."

"I have a shift."

I nodded. "Me too."

He walked the elevator in silence.

His beanie was gone.

I followed him, pressing the down button and waiting as the numbers clicked over from level two all the way to seven.

We stepped inside at the same time, turned to face the doorway at the same time.

I sighed. "How do you know him?"

"Who?"

I went silent.

"Oh. He's my sister's boyfriend." He replied softly, his voice without its usual exuberance.

"Oh." I swallowed, nodding slightly.

"Yeah." He paused. "I'm so sorry, Olivia."

I turned to look at him, and saw his unsmiling and not twinkling face, and I teared up.

I wrapped my arms around him, hugging him tightly.

My face pressed into the crook of his neck, fitting snugly under his chin. He held me back, and it was as if a small spark went through his body.

I felt his twinkly eyes come back, I felt his smile reappear.

I felt his sparks reignite.

_

Awww comment your thoughts x