1| The Forest

Rey ran through a forest, she could hear blasts being fired behind her. She wasn't sure who was firing, but something told her that it wasn't her friends. She ran as quickly as she could away from the sound and the danger that she knew came with it.

She zigzagged as she ran to avoid the trees, but she did not slow down. Her heart was racing, and her breath was heavy. She felt afraid, but she wasn't sure why.

Just then she heard a familiar voice in her head: "Don't be afraid," the voice said, it was deep but soft, gentle but firm.

Rey came to a sudden halt, scanning the trees for the figure who spoke, she knew that they must be close by. The voice calmed her, but she was still afraid. She was afraid that the one who spoke would disappear before she could even lay eyes on them, just as they always did. She turned around and saw a large explosion in the distance behind her, slowly she began to back away from it.

Suddenly she began to have an uneasy feeling like she was being watched. She could feel a powerful presence in the Force. A familiar presence that both frightened and intrigued her.

Just then she heard muffled breathing behind her. It was close... very close... too close. It was right behind her!

Rey turned slowly to face the dark presence. She saw a tall dark figure towering over her, he wore black from head to toe, on his head was a black hood, and covering his face was a terrifying mask.

It was Kylo Ren.

Rey gasped with a start as she saw him. He had appeared out of nowhere. Even though she was afraid, she did not show it, she did not move.

Kylo Ren drew his lightsaber from his belt where it was fastened.

"Ben, please," she begged, only to see him ignite his fiery red blade. She began to back away, but he perused her. "Please don't do this Ben!" she continued to plead.

"Ben Solo is dead," Kylo's deep muffled voice replied. Then he stabbed her with his fierce blade.

Rey felt a searing pain in her stomach, it was sharp and burning. She closed her eyes as she screamed in pain and agony.

She expected to feel the air being pulled from her lungs, as she drew her last breath, but it didn't come.

She opened her eyes and found that she was laying on a mat in the forward hold aboard the Millennium Falcon. She and the rest of the Resistance had been aboard the Millennium Falcon for almost a week now, since the battle of Crait. She looked around the dimly lit room, everything was just as it had been before she went to sleep, the room was still scattered with crates of supplies. She was safe, it had only been a dream... a nightmare.

She had insisted on sleeping here, in the forward hold. There were only a few beds and she was used to sleeping almost anywhere. She also wanted to be alone, it helped her connect with the force better and have a place to meditate.

She sat cross-legged on the simple mat and took several deep breaths to calm herself and lower her pulse. It felt like her heart was trying to hammer out of her chest.

Just then Finn and Poe burst through her door into her room.

"Are you okay?" Finn asked.

"We heard screams," Poe added.

"It was just a nightmare... but it felt so real," she answered.

Poe and Finn sat down on two crates in front of her.

"What happened?" Finn asked.

"It was nothing," Rey answered, not wanting to talk about it.

"Nothing?" Finn asked. "Nothing doesn't make you scream like that, Rey. It sounded like you were in pain."

"You'll feel better if you tell someone," Poe added.

Rey took a deep breath, knowing that they would never let her off the hook. "I dreamt that ...Kylo Ren ... killed me," she said softly.

"If I see him, I'll kill him," Finn said, angrily. "It's enough that he kidnapped you and tortured you without giving you nightmares too."

Rey was confused, something about the nightmare just didn't make sense to her. "It didn't make sense," she continued. "He didn't even seem to recognize me. Why would he ..."

"Even if he recognized you, it wouldn't have helped, he still would have killed you," Finn interrupted.

"Besides it was just a dream," Poe added. "You're safe now."

"I know, thank you both for checking on me," she said. "I'm fine now."

"Are you sure?" Finn asked.

Rey nodded. "I'm sure," she answered.

"Good night," said Poe.

"Good night, Rey," said Finn.

"Good night," Rey answered and they turned to leave.

"Oh, and please don't tell General Organa about this, I don't want to worry her, she has enough to worry about," Rey added.

Poe nodded. "We won't," he promised.

"Try to get some sleep," Finn added, then he and Poe left.

But Rey knew she wouldn't be getting any more sleep tonight. It was almost morning anyway, and she just needed something to keep her mind off of the nightmare.