57 | Light And Darkness

Poe was grateful that he and BB8 were in the same cell. He couldn't imagine BB8 locked in a cell all by himself, he would be so lonely and scared.

"At least we're together, buddy" said Poe.

BB8 leaned against Poe's leg and Poe bent down to pat him.

"Now if only we could find a way to get out of here," said Poe.

Rey was waiting until night to escape. There would be less guards and less people moving about aboard the star destroyer.

She had been sitting quietly, trying to find a way out. She was allowing the Force to guide her.

Her eyes were closed. Suddenly as she felt a familiar presence in the Force, she opened her eyes. She looked up to see Ben. There were tears running down his face.

"Ben," she whispered. She stepped closer to him. She reached out to touch his hand.

He felt her hand touch his. He looked down at their hands, then back at her eyes. "I saw my grandfather," he whispered.

"Darth Vader?" she asked, stepping back a little. "Ben, please don't do this. You don't have to be like him."

"I know," he answered.

Rey remembered how Ben had listened to her after she had went into the dark hole on Luke's island. Now she realized it was her turn to listen. He was seated on the small cot and she sat down next to him. "When I went into the dark hole, I felt so alone. But you listened to my story and told me that I wasn't alone. Now it's my turn to do the same for you."

Ben looked into her eyes. She had trusted him with her greatest secret. He knew he could trust her with his.

"I saw a Force ghost of my grandfather, I saw him as clearly as I see you now," said Ben. "But it wasn't Darth Vader. Darth Vader is dead. It was Anakin Skywalker. Darth Vader imprison him in his own body. Just as Kylo Ren has imprisoned me."

Rey listened carefully, looking into his eyes.

"But my uncle Luke set him free. Before he died, Anakin Skywalker was restored. And he lives on in the Force," Ben continued.

"I'm glad you got to see your grandfather for who he really was," she answered.

"So am I," Ben agreed. "He told why he turned to the Dark Side."

"Why?" Rey asked.

"Love," Ben answered, quietly.

"Love?" she asked.

"He had a dream, he saw the future. He saw the woman he loved, my grandmother dying. Darth Sidious made him believe that he could stop her death, if only he would turn to the Dark Side. Anakin thought he could control the Dark Side, but instead it controlled him. The same way it has been controlling me."

Rey looked down for a moment, then returned her gaze to him.

"But his actions were what caused her to die," Ben continued.

"That's sad," said Rey.

"Yes, and I can't make the same mistakes," Ben said softly. He stared into her eyes. "My grandfather told me that love is not a weakness, it is a strength."

Ben leaned closer to her. "I love you," he whispered.

Rey was speechless for moment. She stared into his eyes and saw nothing in them but affection. She realized that she loved him too. "I love you, Ben," she whispered.

"Rey, you are my light," he said. "My grandfather turned to the Dark Side, because he loved my grandmother. And because I love you, I have turned to the Light Side."

"Ben, I will love you no matter what you choose," she answered and she meant it. She had always loved him, since the first time she heard his voice, years ago when she was alone on Jakku. She just never realized it.

He looked into her eyes. "Thank you," he said. "But the Dark Side pulled my grandparents apart. I don't want the same thing to happen to us. I belong with you, and I know that you can't come to the Dark Side, but I can come to the Light Side. It has always called me, but I realize now that it was you all along."

He took off his black leather gloves, then reached out and touched her face gently. His fingers brushed her soft skin. She gasped softly as again she could feel him through the Force. She could feel his fingertips brushing her cheek softly. She reached out and touched his face, her fingers didn't go through him, instead she could feel him as if he were really there. They looked into each other's eyes. Then he gently kissed her lips, and she kissed him in return.