20| The Kyber Crystal

Meanwhile, aboard the First Order ship, Kylo sat alone in his room. He was thinking about Rey. Being around her was like seeing a beautiful sunrise after a dark night. Like the first day of spring after a long, cold winter.

He reached into his pocket pulled out half of the kyber crystal from his grandfather's lightsaber. He had picked it up in the throne room after Rey left. The rest of the lightsaber was missing, Rey must have taken it with her.

He felt like his heart had been as broken as the lightsaber, and that Rey had also taken half of it with her when she left.

Kylo looked at the broken kyber crystal. He wondered if he could use it to make a new lightsaber. He was sure he could, his own lightsaber was made of a cracked kyber crystal. He liked the one he had, but it couldn't hurt to have two. Besides it would be made with half of the crystal from his grandfather's lightsaber.

His Uncle Luke had given the lightsaber when he came to train with him. He had passed it down to him, believing that as a Skywalker, he would one day bring balance to the Force as he had done, and as his father before him. But the task had always seemed impossible to Ben. How could he bring balance to the Force? Even if he did, would it last? It hadn't before, so why would it now? And he didn't believe he could do it alone. Luke hadn't. He had done it with the help of his father.

But it didn't take long for the Dark Side to rise again, and the Force to be thrown out of balance once more.

Snoke had spoken to him, saying that Luke had used the Light Side to bring balance. But it didn't last. Ben had felt that to truly bring balance to the Force he had to join the Dark Side. But even when he turned to the Dark Side, he felt the pull to The Light.

He had equal potential for the Light Side and the Dark Side. But how could he be both? How could he truly bring balance. He didn't even know what balance was. He certainly didn't have it, the Light and Dark Side battled within him, tearing him apart just like how he and Rey had torn the lightsaber in half.

This wasn't his task, it was his grandfather's.

He looked down at the kyber crystal in his hand. He had lost the lightsaber when he left his Uncle and turned to the Dark Side. He felt like he had lost a part of himself when he lost the lightsaber. He felt like he had lost the part of him that was good. He had lost Ben Solo.

Now he had the lightsaber's crystal. Or part of it, at least.

And he felt as if he had part of himself back too. But it wasn't the lightsaber that had brought it back, it was Rey. And that's why he would give the lightsaber to her.

He had a lightsaber, she didn't. The lightsaber had called to her after all. He wanted to keep it, but he felt like she was meant to have it. He was willing to give up the lightsaber for her. It wasn't the lightsaber he wanted when they fought over it with the Force in the throne room. He would have let her have it then, but he knew that if he did, she would have left, and he didn't want her to leave him. He wanted her to stay and rule the galaxy with him.

Or if he let her have the saber, she may have used it against him, and he would've had to fight her. He knew that he wasn't strong enough to do that, not after he had gotten to know her. He had killed Snoke, his master to save her. He had risked his life to save her, and he hadn't done so just so he kill her. He didn't want to fight her. He couldn't hurt her, and he certainly couldn't kill her. He wanted her to join him, so that neither of them would have to be alone ever again.

You are weak, you couldn't even kill a girl, a voice told him.

But he looked at the crystal, he didn't regret saving her. No, he thought in reply to the voice. I don't regret my decision. I don't regret sparing her.