58 | Rey

As Ben kissed her, he had a vision through the Force. It was so vivid that he almost felt like he was really there.

He stood in a desert. There was sand as far as he could see. The air was dusty, making it hard to breath. The sand was rough and coarse as it blew on his face. "I don't like sand," Ben thought silently.

But then he heard a voice behind him. The voice was sad and desperate. He turned quickly to see a little girl.

She wore rags and had her brown hair pulled back in three small buns. Ben recognized her, it was Rey.

Her cheeks were streaked with tears. "Don't go! Don't go!" she cried over and over, looking up at the sky.

Ben followed her gaze to see a ship flying away. "Her parents," he thought silently.

He looked back at the young Rey. Her face was filled with pain,...deep pain. He knew how she felt. But he didn't know how badly she had been hurt, until now. Now he could see the moment that caused her so much pain. The moment that had broken her forever.

He knew that this moment, the moment her parents abandoned her, had haunted her ever since. It still haunted her today, he knew. He had seen it in her eyes. He still did.
For the first time in many years, he forgot how lonely he felt, because he was more concerned with how lonely this moment had made Rey feel.

He walked over to her. He looked down at her sad face. Tears began to fill his eyes. He could not understand why anyone would abandon such a precious child. To him, she was everything. She was the most wonderful person in the galaxy.

He bent down and gently wiped the tears from her eyes. "Rey, you're not alone," he said softly.

He looked into her eyes. The tears were gone, but her eyes were still filled with sadness and pain. Ben scooped her up and hugged her.

"I'll never leave you. I'll never abandon you," he whispered. "I promise."

"They might think that you are nothing, but to me, your everything," he added. "One day you'll see."