14| Escape

Leia looked out the window, she could see that Rey and Poe were outnumbered by the TIE fighters.

"We're ready to jump into hyperspace," said Kaydel.

"Good," Leia answered. Then she picked up the com link and spoke to Rey and Poe. "You're outnumbered. Come back to the ship."

"Right away," Poe answered and he flew towards Maz's ship. He had to dodge and shoot down a couple of TIE fighters to get there, but he made it to Maz's ship in one piece.

Rey took one last look at Kylo's TIE silencer. She could still feel a connection to Ben through the Force. She didn't want to leave, she didn't want to break the connection that they were sharing. But she knew that she had to go, and that the longer she stayed the greater the chances of her being forced into firing on him would be. And she didn't want to do that. She knew that she would probably have to face him again, and fight him. But she preferred to do so face to face, so she could help him come the Light Side. She hadn't given up hope for him. She had to at least give him one last chance before she killed him.

"Roger," she replied. Then reluctantly, she made her way back to Maz's ship.

Ben was sad that she had left him, but he was so amazed that she had spared him, again that there wasn't much pain in his sorrow. Maybe she didn't hate him as much as he thought she did. This was the third time she had spared him when she had the chance to kill him.

She spared me again, yet another foolish sentimental decision. ...Of course, I also made the choice to spare her. I could have killed her easily, but somehow I just couldn't do it, he thought. But I have reasons to spare her, she could be a great asset. But she has no cause to spare me. It's almost as if she cares about me. But that's ridiculous, how could someone as wonderful as Rey care about me? She couldn't. No one cares about me.

Once Rey and Poe were safely back aboard Maz's ship, she jumped into light speed.

Rey climbed out of the X-wing. She was still shocked, both by hearing Luke's voice and her connection with Ben. She was so distracted thinking about everything that had happened during the battle, that she didn't notice Finn running towards her. He smacked right into her, giving her a big hug. He almost knocked her over because she wasn't really paying attention, she wasn't prepared for the impact.

Finn released her and she smiled at him. He smiled back then hugged Poe. "I'm so glad you both made it back!"

"Thanks, Finn!" said Poe. Then he turned to Rey. "That was some nice flying!"

"Same to you," she answered, still distracted.

"What happened with the TIE silencer?" Poe asked. "Was something wrong? I noticed you didn't fire on it."

"... um... my trigger was ... jammed," she replied. She didn't want to admit that it wasn't the trigger that wouldn't fire, but her.

"You're lucky whoever was in that TIE silencer didn't fire at you," said Poe.

Rey nodded. She was lucky that Kylo hadn't fired at her. Now that she thought about it, she didn't know why he hadn't.

"You do know who's ship that was don't you?" Finn asked.

Poe shrugged, and Rey quickly followed, not wanting them to think that she was conspiring with him or something.

"Kylo Ren's," Finn answered, he had seen it when he was a part of the First Order.
"The question is why didn't he fire on you, Rey?"

"I don't know," she answered truthfully. It was that same question that had her puzzled.

"Maybe it wasn't him," Poe suggested. "Maybe he let someone else fly it."