24| The Force That Binds Us

Meanwhile, on Naboo, the Resistance had gathered at the Queen's table. Leia filled her in about the First Order, and the Resistance. She told her how their numbers had been decreased. But she didn't tell her that her son was a part of the First Order.

The queen listened to their tale with sympathy. "I want to help you," she said. "Tomorrow we will have a meeting. Maybe I can convince the people to join your cause."

"Thank you," said Leia.

While Leia and the queen discussed politics and war, Rey, Finn, Rose, Poe, and Kaydel were having a conversation of their own.

Rey was trying everything on the table. There were so many delicious foods. They were far better than the portions she had eaten her whole life on Jakku. She continued to eat long after she was full, wanting to taste everything. The best by far was the cake. She had heard that cake was good and had always wanted to taste some. It was far more delicious than she had ever imagined it could be.

As she ate the others asked her a lot of questions. They all wanted to know what had happened to her on Ahch-to.
Finn had asked her what the planet was like and she began to describe the islands of Ahch-to.

"There was a beautiful ocean that went out as far as the eye could see, and the rocky islands were covered in green grass," she said. "When I came to one of the islands, I saw Luke Skywalker standing there, looking out at the waves."

"You met Luke Skywalker!" Rose exclaimed. As a child she had always enjoyed hearing stories about him.

"Yes," Rey answered.

"What was he like?" Rose asked, excitedly.

"At first he seemed like a strange old hermit, but I knew he was really a Jedi Master," Rey replied.

"Master Luke, a strange old hermit?" C3PO asked. "I seem to remember Luke saying that about Old Ben Kenobi. I never thought he would become one himself."

"Old Ben Kenobi?" Rey asked, puzzled. She wondered if Ben Solo was named after him, but she didn't ask. She didn't want to bring Ben up, she knew if she did she would have to explain.

"I've heard legends of an Obi Wan Kenobi. I wonder if they're related," Rose thought aloud.

"Actually, they're the same person," C3PO answered.

"Really?" Rey asked.

"Yes," C3PO replied. "He trained master Luke to be a Jedi."

"Did Luke Skywalker train you to be a Jedi, Rey?" Kaydel asked.

"I begged him to train me, but he refused at first," said Rey. "Finally, he agreed to teach me three things about being a Jedi."

"Then what happened?" Poe asked.

"He gave me my first lesson. He instructed me to sit on a large rock with my legs crossed. Then he told me to close my eyes and reach out," said Rey. "So I closed my eyes and stretched out my hand."

"Did you feel anything?" Finn asked, amazed.

"I felt something brushing against my hand," Rey answered.

"Really?" Finn asked in both disbelief and astonishment. "Was it the Force?"

Rey opened her mouth to reply, but Finn continued before she could. "Let me try."

"Okay," said Rey, trying not to smile. "Close your eyes."

Finn closed his eyes.

"Now reach out."

Finn stretched his hand out in front of him.

Rey took a long piece of grass and brushed it across Finn's hand.