45 | I Promise

Rey could sense that her friends were in trouble. She had to get out of here. She had to save her friends.

She didn't want to leave Ben... again. She didn't want to abandon him the way her parents had abandoned her. But she couldn't let her friends die.

"I'm sorry, Ben," she whispered. Then she made her way to the door. She pushed on it, and to her surprise it opened.

She stepped into the hallway, looking both ways to make sure there was no one that could see her. It was clear so, she crept into the hallway. She stayed in the shadows and made her way to the landing bay to steal a ship.

Suddenly, she heard footsteps approaching her. She turned a corner suddenly and leaned against the wall.

A group of stormtroopers passed. She breathed a sigh of relief once they were gone. She stepped back into the hallway and headed for the landing bay.

Once she reached the landing bay, she slipped into a tie fighter. "I'll come back Ben, I promise," she whispered. Then she flew the tie fighter out of the star destroyer.

Kylo Ren walked down the hallway, with BB-9E rolling at his heels. He heard a voice in his mind. He stopped suddenly, causing the little droid to crash into him. "I'll come back, Ben, I promise." It was Rey's voice.

"No!" he cried. BB-9E looked up at him curiously. "Please don't leave me," he thought.

"Please don't leave me," she heard Ben's voice in her mind. But it was too late, she had already jumped into light speed.

"I'm sorry, Ben," she answered. "I had to leave. But I promise I will come back."

As he heard her speak the words, he hurried to the medical bay, hoping to stop her before she left. But as he opened the door, he found the room empty.

He was so angry that he wanted to scream, he wanted to ignite his lightsaber and destroy the room. But he found that he couldn't move, all he could do was stare into the empty room, where she had been only moments earlier. His heart felt just as empty.

A tear slipped from his eye. It fell down his cheek, running down the scar that she had given him. He felt as if she had scared his heart even deeper.

He had given everything to save her, but she only left him in return. Perhaps that was what his dream had meant, that she would be taken from him. Yet somehow, death seemed less painful than her choosing to leave.

The wound left by the day that his parents had left him was reopened. It lingered in his mind.

As Rey flew the tie fighter, tears slipped down her face. She could feel Ben's heart breaking. She didn't know how it was possible, but she could feel it. She wished there was some way she could prove to him that she wasn't abandoning him. That she was going to come back.

Suddenly the words he had spoken to her for so long resurfaced in her mind. Now it was her turn to do the same for him.

"I'll come back sweetheart. I promise," she told him through the Force.

Ben looked up at the sound of her voice. "I'll come back sweetheart. I promise," her words comforted him and all the heartbreak he had felt before faded away instantly.

"I know," he answered.

(1k views! Thank you all so much for reading, voting and commenting!)