25| Your Father Loved You

Ben watched as Rey began to walk away. "Rey," he whispered.

Hux had been watching Ren the whole time, wondering who he was talking to. He had heard him say something about his uncle Luke. Then he had watched, surprised as Kylo removed his helmet and stared off at the wall like he was seeing both the most wonderful and terrible thing in the whole galaxy.

His confusion only deepened as Ren began to speak. "Who are you talking to Ren?" Hux demanded.

Kylo hadn't noticed him standing there, watching him. "No one," he replied. But not to me, he added silently.

"It didn't seem like 'no one' to me," said Hux. He remembered what the Supreme Leader had said about Ren having a bond with the girl through the Force. He wondered if she was the one he was speaking to.

"It has something to do with the Force, you wouldn't understand," Kylo answered. "I have to go." He left quickly to follow Rey.

Hux eyed him suspiciously as he left the control room.

Rey walked away from the palace, until she stood in the meadow just outside. Until recently, she had spent her whole life on Jakku where there was nothing but sand. Now she had traveled to other planets and seen grass, trees, and other plants. She had found them all beautiful, but this meadow had beautiful flowers such as she had never seen or imagined. She thought it was the most beautiful place in the whole galaxy.

She looked out and saw a tall figure wearing black. She began walking towards the figure. The figure saw her coming and walked over to meet her.

When Rey came near the figure, she could see that it was Ben, as she had hoped.

"You're still here?" she asked. "I was afraid our Force connection had ended."

"So was I," he replied, looking into her eyes. "I'm glad that it hasn't... I missed you, sweetheart."

Rey smiled, shyly. "I never thought I would say this, but ...I missed you too."

He smiled slightly at her. "A lot has changed."

"It certainly has," she agreed.

"You used to greet me by shouting cruel things at me," he said.

"That was before I knew you," she answered. "As I got to know you, I saw that you weren't the monster I thought you were. And that I want to know more about you."

"I want to know more about you too," he answered. He could sense that there was something she wanted to ask him. Something she wanted to know. "Is there something you want to ask me?"

Rey nodded and looked down a little shy.

"Don't be afraid," he said gently, stepping closer to her.

Rey looked up to meet his gaze. "Why did you speak to me through the Force for all those years?" she asked timidly.

"When I had a vision of you, I saw that you were just as lonely as I was. And I didn't want you to be. I didn't want you to feel the way I felt. I wanted you to know that you are not alone."

She smiled. "Thank you. I wish I could have discovered the Force sooner, so I could have answered you."

"That's okay, Rey, you can answer me now."

She began to wonder, why was she being so nice to him. He is supposed to be my enemy, yet here I am talking to him as if he was my friend. I'm with the Resistance, he's with the First Order. I'm on the Light Side, he's on the Dark Side. I shouldn't be nice to him. But he has been there for me when no one else was. He is as lonely as I am. But he didn't want me to be.... No. He is my enemy, not my friend. She thought. He killed his father, the closest person I've ever had to a father and I should hate him for it.