19|The Lightsaber

The next day, Rey sat in her room, reading the Jedi manuscripts.

She took out the lightsaber. She was ready to begin repairing the broken lightsaber. She began examining the broken pieces of the lightsaber. She took out the kyber crystal to find that it had been split in two. One piece still remained in the lightsaber hilt, but the other half was gone. Rey wondered what had happened to the other half of the kyber crystal. It must have fallen out somewhere.

She hoped that she could still fix the lightsaber with only half it.

It's worth a try, she thought silently.

She began to piece the lightsaber back together. It was like a puzzle ...a very complex one. But Rey was good at fixing things and she soon had the lightsaber pieced back together again. She welded the pieces of the old Skywalker lightsaber back together.

When she was done, it wasn't exactly the same, but it was close. There were cracks visible on the lightsaber hilt. They were like battle scars, showing what the lightsaber had been through, telling it's story. Rey could only imagine what the lightsaber had seen. The battles it had fought, the wars it had won...and began.

She placed the half kyber crystal in the center. She had always been good at fixing things, but she had never built a lightsaber before. In fact she had little experience with lightsabers, until recently. The Jedi manuscripts had helped, but still she worried that she'd done something wrong. She didn't even know if the broken crystal would work.

But she had allowed the Force to guide her as she rebuilt the old lightsaber. She could feel those who had owned it before her, guiding her as she went.

As she built the lightsaber, she had a strange feeling that it wasn't meant for her, but for Ben.

When she was finished she pressed the button on the hilt. A glowing blue blade of light shot out of the lightsaber's hilt. Because the crystal was damaged, the blade was a little less stable than Luke's lightsaber had once been, but far more stable than Kylo Ren's.

Thinking about the fiery red lightsaber, caused her to think about Ben again. She wondered what he would think about the new lightsaber. She hoped he would like it. She knew that lightsaber had called to her. But now she felt the Force guiding her to give it to him. Maybe it would help somehow.

She knew that it had once belonged to his grandfather, and his uncle. It was an important part of his heritage, so she decided that she would give it to him when she got the chance. She was sure she could find another lightsaber for herself later. Until she got a new lightsaber she could use the blaster Han had given her, and she still had her staff.

She was glad she was able to fix the lightsaber. It might not fix everything that was broken, but she hoped that it would help. It would show that she trusted him, and cared about him. Maybe he needed a reminder of the light that was just as much apart of him as the dark.

"It worked!" she exclaimed, excited both because she'd taken another step towards becoming a Jedi, and because of the possibility that Ben might come back.

"Very good," a voice said behind her. "You've built your own lightsaber."

She turned to see the glowing blue form of Luke Skywalker. She gasped when she saw him. "Luke!" she exclaimed. "I thought you were gone."

"No one is ever really gone," he answered.

"I'm sorry I left before I finished my training." She looked down at the floor.

"Don't apologize," he said, and she looked back up at him. "You were right not to give up on Ben. I never should have. There is still good in him, I only wish I'd seen that sooner. If I had, I could have stopped him from turning to the Dark Side. It's because of me he turned. I failed him, Rey. ...And I failed you." Luke looked down, his face sad.