9| The Porg

Meanwhile, Rose was feeling much better. She was getting stronger. Finn had given her something to eat, and it had been just the thing she needed. To Finn's objection, she got up to join the rest of the Resistance in the sitting room. Now, she sat with Finn, Poe, and BB-8.

One of the porgs that now called the Millennium Falcon home, came over and hopped into Poe's lap.

"What are those things? They're all over the Millennium Falcon," Finn asked.

"I asked Rey, she said they were porgs, a bird like species that lived on the islands of Ahch-To," Poe answered, petting the creature on the head.

"Strange little creatures," said Finn.

"I think they're cute," Rose smiled at the little creature.

Poe looked at the porg. "If you're going to join us, you'll need a name. Any ideas?"

"LJ-17?" Finn suggested.

"Not letters and numbers, a real name. Why do you think I called you Finn instead of FN- 2187?"

"I do like Finn a lot better then FN-2187," he agreed.

"FN-2187?" Rose asked.

"That's what they called me when I was a stormtrooper."

"You didn't even have a name?" she asked, surprised, most stormtroopers at least had nicknames they used instead of their numbers.

"Why do you think I left?" he replied, jokingly.

"If you didn't like it, what makes you think the porg will?" she asked.

"It's not my fault that I don't know many real names," he protested. "Besides it's no different than BB-8."

"That's why I call him 'buddy.' Right, buddy?"

BB-8 nodded his head enthusiastically in agreement.

Poe looked at the porg. "What about Rebel since he has joined the rebellion?"

"Sounds good," Finn agreed.

"Much better than LJ-17," Rose added.

"Do you have to keep reminding me about that?" Finn asked, sarcastically.

"I have to tease you about something," she answered, smiling sweetly.

Just then Lieutenant Kaydel Ko Connix walked over to them. "Maz's ship has been sighted! Maz should be here soon."

"Then I'm hiding," Finn looked around for a good hiding place.

"Why?" Poe asked.

"She gives me the creeps," Finn answered.

"How?" Poe asked, a puzzled look on his face.

"Have you met her?" Finn asked.

"Yes," Poe answered.

"Then why do I need to explain?"

"You can't judge people by how they look," Poe replied.

"It's not that," Finn answered. "It's the whole 'If you live long enough, you see the same eyes in different people' ...thing," he quoted Maz, making a terrible effort of mimicking her voice. "It felt like she was staring into my soul! That's what gave me the creeps. It's an experience I don't wish to repeat."

"Do you want Maz to think you've deserted the Resistance?" Rose asked.

"Anything is better than being stared at with those eyes of hers," Finn replied stubbornly.

"What did she see the last time she looked into your eyes?" Poe asked, curiously.

"Fear, someone who wants to run," Finn answered a little ashamed.

"And what do you think she will see now?" Poe asked.

"Courage," Rose answered.

Finn looked at her in surprise.

"I've seen your bravery with my own eyes," she said, smiling affectionately.

Finn smiled back at her.

"And now that you've found your courage, and no longer want to run, Maz will see it in your eyes, but not if you run and hide from her," Poe pointed out.

"Remember what I said. It's okay to run, as long as you run in the right direction," Rose placed her hand over his encouragingly.

"Fine," he agreed.

Rose kissed his cheek. "I told you, you were brave."

Finn blushed, but a small smile appeared on his face.

"Where's Rey?" Poe asked, suddenly noticing that she was nowhere in sight.

"In there." Finn pointed to the forward hold where Rey was staying. The door to the room was located just across the room from where they were sitting.

"I'll tell her Maz is here," Poe stood and walked over to the door, then he knocked.

"Come in," she answered from the other side of the door.

Poe opened the door to find Rey using the Force to move random objects in the room. "What are you doing?" he asked, confused.

"Practicing," she answered.

"Oh," he answered, not really understanding. "Maz's ship has been spotted."

Rey carefully lowered the objects. "That's great," she said, smiling. Then her smile faded as she remembered the last time she saw Maz. She had tried give her Luke's lightsaber. What would Maz say if she knew Rey had broken the lightsaber?

"What's wrong?" Poe asked.

"Nothing," Rey replied, her smile returning, but it was a fake forced one. She didn't want to have to explain to him about the lightsaber, and especially not about Ben.

She took a deep breath, trying not to think about it, then they both left to meet Maz.