21| I Will Finish What He Started

After Luke had disappeared, Rey left her room and went out of the Millennium Falcon to look out of one the windows on Maz's ship. She looked out at the starry space outside. She could see a planet near by. The planet was covered beautiful greens and blues. They were approaching Naboo.

She made her way to the cockpit of Maz's ship and joined the others.

Leia looked at the planet they were approaching. "So this is Naboo.I've always wanted to visit, but I was afraid."

"Afraid of what?" Rey asked, Leia was the last person she expected to be afraid. She was always so brave, so courageous.

"Facing my past," Leia answered.

"I know how that feels," said Rey. "Only, I've spent my whole life searching for a past that was hidden from me."

Leia nodded. "For so long, my past was hidden from me. I was raised by the king and queen of Alderaan. But somehow I remembered my mother, my real mother. I only met her once, on the day I was born. I didn't know it then, but I was connected to her through the Force. That's how I remembered her."

"You were connected to your mother through the Force?" Rey asked, surprised. She wished she could have been connected to her parents through the Force. Then they wouldn't have forgotten her, or abandoned her.

"Yes," Leia answered. "But I never knew who my real father was, until Luke told me. While I was connected to our mother, he was connected to our father."

"Darth Vader?" Rey asked. Perhaps he was speaking from experience when he said that the Force had connected her and Kylo for a reason.

"Yes," Leia answered, a little puzzled. "Did Luke tell you?"

"No," Rey answered a little timidly. "Kylo Ren did."

He hadn't actually told her, she had sensed it, when he looked into her mind for the map to Luke. She had found herself inside of his mind. But she thought this was an easier way to explain it.

Leia nodded. "He has too much of grandfather in him."

Rey could see how painful this subject was to Leia, so she moved on. "I know facing your past is hard. It's something you've searched for your whole life. But sometimes, once you find it it's not always what you expect. I finally found my past, but it was nothing but loneliness. In truth I have always known it, but I was afraid to face it. But now that I've had a glimpse into my past, I'm ready to face my future. My parents abandoned me, they're gone and they're never coming back, I have no family."

Leia hugged Rey. "That's not true. We're your family now, and we won't abandon you."

Chewbacca, Finn, Poe, and Rose joined them. Finn had found a family in the Resistance, and he hoped that Rey could find the same.

"Thank you," said Rey.

Maz pulled Rey away from the others so that she could speak to her alone. "Your past may have been filled with loneliness, but that doesn't mean your future has to be. You must not be afraid of becoming close to someone. The belonging you seek is not behind you but ahead of you."

Rey remembered the first time Maz had told her that, she remembered the voice that had whispered: "it's Ben." Now she knew that it was him, it had always been him. In the loneliest years of her life, she had heard his voice comforting her.

Rey remembered telling Ben how lonely facing her past had made her feel. That she had never felt so lonely in her life. He had listened to her story, without interrupting, as if he really cared about her, about what she had experienced. Then he had told her that she was not alone. In those few moments, she had felt more belonging than she had ever felt in her whole life.