42| There Is Still Hope

Meanwhile... on Cantonica. Finn, Poe and Rose had gone back into the casino. Jacaru was busy out looking for the fathiers. So, Temiri sat in the stables with his best friends, a girl with curly red hair named Arashell Sar. And a boy with dark hair and dark skin named Oniho Zaya.

"The Resistance is here," he whispered. "I saw them."

"How do you know that it was the Resistance?" Arashell asked.

"It was the same two Resistance fighters that I helped escape," said Temiri. He had excitedly told his friends about how he had helped the Resistance fighters escape. He had shown them the ring that Rose had given him. "But this time they brought an extra fighter with them. I think they've come to rescue us."

"But I overheard a group from the First Order say that the Resistance had nearly been wiped out," said Oniho.

Arashell nodded, she had overheard it too. "All hope is lost. We'll never get out of here."

Temiri smiled, "There is always hope. I overheard something too. I overheard the Resistance fighters talking. I heard one of them say that Luke Skywalker had returned and faced the First Order alone!"

"Luke Skywalker! Are you sure?" asked Oniho.

Temiri nodded. "I'm sure."

Oniho pulled out his Luke Skywalker figure and looked at it. "You're right, Temiri. There is still hope."

Finn, Rose and Poe stood in a corner, trying to act casual.

Poe spoke quietly, in a conversational tone. "We will wait until tonight. Once everyone is detracted, gambling, we will slip out and free the slaves."

Finn and Rose both nodded.

"Good plan," said Finn.

Rose noticed Bazine watching them. She started laughing so it would seem like they were having a pleasant conversation.

Finn and Poe just stared at her. After a second Poe realized what she was doing, and he started laughing too.
Their laughter was contagious, and after a moment Finn joined in.

"Why are we laughing?" Finn asked after their laughter died away.

"Someone was watching us," Rose answered softly.

"Oh... why is that funny?" Finn asked.

Poe laughed again and Finn glared at him. "We're trying to blend in," he said. "We don't want everyone to know that we're here on a mission. We want them to think that we came here to have fun."

"Then why don't we have some fun. It will be a few hours before dark," said Finn. "Let's think about something fun to talk about."

"That doesn't involve the First Order or the Resistance. Or Leia, or Rey or Luke Skywalker or Han Solo. Or the Jedi, or the Sith. And certainly not Kylo Ren or Darth Vader," Poe warned in a whisper.

"Hmmm," said Finn. That knocked out most of the the things he was going to talk about. He was going to tell Rose about the time he fought Kylo Ren, because he thought that might impress her. Of course he was going to embellish the story a little bit. But that was off of the list. "When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?" he asked after a long moment.

"I wanted to be a pilot," said Poe.

"Of course," Finn replied. "What about you, Rose?"

"I wanted to be a teacher, but my sister joined... you know....and I didn't want to be separated from her."

Finn nodded sadly, knowing that she had lost her sister.

"What about you, Finn?" she asked.

"Every since I can remember, I was in the... you know what, being trained as a you know what. I never really thought about being anything else." He turned to Poe. "Until I met you."