26| The Council

The next day, Queen Natalia gathered the politicians of Naboo for a council meeting.

Queen Natalia, Leia, Maz, the small group of Resistance fighters and several members of the Naboo council gathered around a small table.

"Leia and her friends are the last of the Resistance," Queen Natalia told the council.

"We have come to Naboo to seek your aid," said Leia. "The freedom of the galaxy depends upon it."

"We have been a peaceful people for many years," said one of the senators. "Why get involved in the war now?"

"The Resistance is the only thing that stands between the First Order and complete control of the galaxy, including Naboo," said Leia.

"Your people fought for freedom during the Clone Wars, will you not fight again?" asked Maz.

"In defense of Naboo, I motion that we join the fight for the Resistance," said one of the councilors.

"I second the motion," said Queen Natalia.

Most of the council agreed to join the Resistance.

"It's settled," said Queen Natalia. "We will join the Resistance."

"Thank you," said Leia. "We may yet have hope for the Resistance."

"But there still aren't enough of us to face the First Order," said one of the councilors.

"No, but we can certainly make a difference," said Natalia.

"I know where we can find more who would join the Resistance," said Rose. "We just need to free them."

"Where?" Leia asked.

She looked at Finn. "Cantonica," she said.

Finn nodded. "There were people enslaved there, and most were for the Resistance."

Leia looked at Queen Natalia and Maz. They both nodded.

"We can use all the help we can get," said Maz.

Natalia nodded. "If our goal is to free the galaxy, then maybe we should start by freeing those people that you speak of," she said.

"I think it's the right thing to do," Leia agreed. "We will send a small team to free the people and bring back anyone willing to join us."

"I'll go," Rose volunteered. "I know where they are."

"So do I!" Finn said quickly.

Maz nodded proudly. She was happy to see that he had found his courage and no longer wanted to run.

"Permission to join them General?" Poe asked.

Leia nodded. "They'll need a pilot."

Poe smiled and nodded.

"Beep boooooo bop!" said BB-8.

"Of course you can come with us, buddy," Poe answered.

"I'm coming too!" Rey exclaimed.

"No, child," said Maz.

Rey looked down at her, puzzled.

"I have something else I need you to do," she said. "We have allies on a planet in the outer rim, Ganeron. I sent them a message, they have agreed to help us. There aren't many of them, but they are warriors. Great warriors who have fought for the rebellion since the time when the empire ruled the galaxy. And we need all the warriors we can get."

Leia nodded.

"Unfortunately their ship is damaged and they are trapped. I told them I would send someone to get them."