What Will It Be Like?

Rey and Ben boarded the Millennium Falcon.
Ben made his way through the familiar halls to the cockpit. He sat down in the pilot seat... his father's seat. He still bore a heavy burden of guilt over his father's death and he knew that he always would. He knew that Snoke had been controlling him, but he still blamed himself. If only he had been strong enough to overcome Snoke sooner, much would have been different. He was glad that he hadn't made the same mistake with Rey.
Now that he knew that Snoke was still alive, he was afraid that he would get into his mind again, that he wouldn't be able to stop Kylo Ren from hurting Rey this time.
Just then he felt a gentle touch on his shoulder. Rey came up behind him and began gently rubbing his shoulders. "Don't worry, Ben. Snoke won't find us on Ach-To, we will be out of his reach."
Ben nodded. "I know," he whispered.
Rey smiled and leaned down to kiss his cheek. Then she sat down in the copilot seat next to him.
"Ready?" she asked.
He took a deep breath and nodded. "The sooner we get to Ach-To the better," he said.
She nodded. "I can't wait to show you the island, it's beautiful."
"I know," he answered, as they took off. "You've dreamt of it for a long time."
She nodded. "When I found out that Luke was on the island, I thought that he was the reason I felt called there. I thought that he would be like a father to me, that I would finally belong somewhere and have someone who loved me. But I was wrong, I think you were the reason I dreamt of the island."
They put the Millennium Falcon into light speed, then Ben looked at her.
"That's where our connection got stronger, it's where I fell in love with you," she continued.
Ben smiled. "I've always been in love with you sweetheart," he whispered.
Rey smiled, then reached over to take his hand. She leaned closer to him and kissed his lips softly.
He pressed his forehead to hers. "What do think it will be like?"
"What?" she asked.
"Being one in the Force."
"I don't know for certain," she answered, rubbing her thumb across the top of his hand. "But I know it will be wonderful because we'll be together."
He nodded.
"I think it will be like the first time we touched hands, only it will last forever," she continued.
"That sounds wonderful" he answered.
"What do you think it will be like when we're married?" she asked.
"Wonderful," he answered, squeezing her hand. "Though I must confess that I am afraid."
"Of what?"
"Of marrying you. I'm not afraid of my feelings for you Rey, by the ancient Jedi costumes we shouldn't be together, but I don't care what everyone else thinks. It's just that I know that many members of the Resistance don't trust me, they don't like me and if you marry me they won't see you the same as they do now."
"I don't belong with them, Ben, I belong with you."
"What about your friends, Rey?"
"My friends have forgiven you, Ben."
"I know but I don't think they would trust me with you, and I can't blame them. I don't deserve you sweetheart," he whispered.
"Yes you do, if you didn't deserve me the Force wouldn't have bound us together. We were created to be together," she looked down. "Neither of us deserve each other, but we do need each other."
"You need me?" he asked, slightly surprised.
"You know that I do," she whispered.
He looked into her eyes, he knew that she did need him. During her years spent alone on Jakku, she had clung to his words: "I'll come back sweetheart, I promise." They had been the words that had kept her going all those years, the words that had made her believe that it was worth fighting to stay alive because somewhere in the galaxy someone cared about her.

(A special thank you to Alca the artist of the picture at the top of the page. And thank you to one of best friends Winter Wolf who found the fan art for me after reading this chapter!)