🌠Nineteenth chapter🌠

"Oh, you save me in ways that I can't explain
Always been there for me, now I'll do the same
Oh, I need you more than words can say."
More Than Words; Little Mix ft. Kamille

-

*TW - passing away, grief, funeral*

-
"Thank you sir. Have a nice day," I smiled at Mr. Stapleton after I gave him his order. He is an older businessman from Great Britain, but living here in Monaco. He is our regular customer and he always comes to us to talk about his newest succesful deals. Or he is complaining about stupid people.

"Ariana, you have a phone!" Mrs. Dechanel shouted from the back. I quickly put the money into cash desk and ran after my boss, "it's Charles, urgent." We are not allowed to use our cellphones during the shifts, so they are off for the whole time. If you want to call me or Normani or whoever, you need to call directly to the bakery..

"Urgent?" I frowned. Charles has never called me to the work before, this is weird. Something it's not right. I picked up the phone: "Char? What happened?" I asked unsured. There was a silence before he spoke up.

"Papa...he is in hospital. It looks really bad," my heart stopped at his cracking voice. We knew that this will come, but we weren't able to prepare for it. But can you prepare for such a thing?

"I'm coming," I said and hang up. I took off my apron and went after Mrs. Deschanel. She, of course, let me go, family first. I called a taxi which drove me to Princess Grace Hospital. I was sitting in the back watching the scenery from the window with a beating heart. I've never been in this situation before. People were usually visiting me in the hospital. How should I behave?

When I entered the hospital I immediately noticed Charles already waiting for me. From the distance I could see his red eyes. I hate seeing him crying. I came to him and without words hugged him. I didn't know what else should I do, ,,I'm sorry." sounds really stupid and useless.

"He wants to see you. For-for the last time," he closed his eyes to calm himself down, "he-he doesn't have much time left," I nodded my head and Charles accompanied me to his father's room. I briefly greeted Pascalle, Arthur and Lorenzo standing outside of the room. All of them were silent with puffy eyes. They look like ghosts. But can you blame them?
With my heart hammering in my chest I entered Herve's room. He was laying in the bed, eyes closed and his face scarily pale. Like his soul is already on its way from his body.

"Ariana, is that you?" he asked with hoarse voice and opened his glassy eyes. I closed the door and slowly went to him. I was silent, I don't know what you are telling someone who is dying.

"Yeah, it's me," I softly spoke up after a while and sat on the chair next to the bed.

"Don't look at me like that," he muttered, "I know, I'm dying, but I don't want everybody looking so damn sad. It's depressing me," his words made me slightly chuckle.

"Why did you want to see me so badly?" I couldn't help, but asked. I'm just a random girl Charles saved, nothing more.

"Why? Because you are part of the family. Although you are not sharing the same blood you are one of us. You belong to us." Tears were itching in my eyes, I missed the feeling of belonging somewhere. That you are not alone in this world.