date-planning and dinner

"Do you have any idea what they're doing ?" Alec asked his mother.
Maryse knew only a little. Magnus had mentioned wanting to take Alec on a special date, but hadn't told her any specifics.
"No, not really. But it's your birthday soon so it could be that."
Alec smiled softly, a smile that lit up his face. "Yeah. It'll be my first birthday with Magnus. I can't wait."
Maryse went to smile, but then realised something.
"Alec...you're gonna have to move in with Magnus soon."
Alec's face fell, but only slightly. He knew what has happening and what was wrong, and he certainly was not bothered by the fact he'd have to live with Magnus, but the whole situation still left him feeling...grey. Alone.
Numb.
"I know."
Maryse hugged her beautiful boy tight. She knew how fragile Alec could be; he would need constant love and support for the months to come.
"I can't imagine the prejudice, injustice, and upset you feel. There's absolutely nothing wrong with you, Alexander. Who you love does not define you as a person. It is a part of who you are. And you are a beautiful young man. You are very handsome, and you have the kindest soul. I want you to know that no matter what, one day, we're gonna make these bigoted assholes realise how wrong they are. We're gonna make your rights to be a Shadowhunter as equal as someone like your father's. Well, maybe not your father exactly. He's a lying, cheating piece of shit. But you get the idea. There's no one I love and want to protect more than you, Alexander."
Alec felt a few tears against his cheeks. He loved his mother so much. To be separated from her for the sole reason of his sexuality made him feel alienated and inhuman.
But oh well, he'd have to deal with it.

---------------

"As much as Alec loves doing his job, I don't think a training session is exactly romantic, Jace." said Isabelle, rolling her eyes.
"Well do you have any better ideas?"
"No, but that doesn't make yours good-"
"EVERYONE. Calm down. I don't know Alec that well, but he seems like a really nice guy. Maybe something romantic would suit him. He seems like an emotional guy; something that brings out his loving side would be good."
"Simon, you're a fucking genius. Alec loves that! He's a hopeless romantic really; he loves cuddles and soft kisses."
Simon smiled. "Thank you."
"Right, okay. If Alec's into stuff like that, how about we plan a day out of it? Jace can train with him for a while to tire him out and make him hungry, then Magnus can pick Alec up at the Institute and take him for dinner. Meanwhile, Isabelle, Simon and I set up Magnus's apartment! We can get cutesy decorations and fairy lights. Ooh, and scented candles." Clary said excitedly. She hoped that if Alec liked this, he would start to like her.
Magnus's eyes lit up. Everyone was being so lovely. It made his heart happier than it had been in a while. They were all coming together for one person's happiness. Well, two, but it was also Alec's birthday soon.
"Sounds absolutely perfect, biscuit. The only thing we need is a time plan."
Simon exclaimed. "Oh! Let me be in charge of that!"
"Alright then! Any ideas?"
"Alec and Jace can do whatever, as long as they'll be finished by two. Then, at three, we'll get Magnus over -Jace will be in charge of getting Alec into something nice. At that time, Magnus and Alec will go to whatever place they're going to, and Magnus will tell us when he gets there. Isabelle, Clary and I will go over to Magnus's and start everything. Then voila! Oh- there is one thing. Make sure you and Alec are not near your apartment until five."
"No problem," Magnus said, "everything sounds great!"
The group shared a hug.
"So what are we going to do now?"
"I think we should call Alec and Maryse in. We can all have dinner together!"
Isabelle clapped her hands. "Cool! It's been ages since we've had a special time like this; and I think we all deserve it."
Clary wondered. "Magnus, you won't be stealing the food again...will you?"
"I never did in the first place darling. It's just mere 'borrowing without consent'."

-----------

The whole group had been joined by Alec and Maryse and were enjoying some food from wherever it was Magnus had summoned it from. No one had asked him, so he didn't tell. But the happy energy was clear. Isabelle was smiling and laughing and hugging her brother, Simon and Clary were talking to Magnus, and Maryse and Jace were talking about The Secret Event That Wasn't Really A Secret Except For Alec.
It was great, that for one moment, everyone was able to enjoy themselves and stay calm.
"Alright everybody! I think we should now address the approaching matter of Alexander Lightwood's birthday!" Magnus announced at the top of his lungs.
Alec shrunk back and pulled his sweater over his head. He hated people making a big deal of him.
"Hmm, yes. We should indeed!" said Maryse, playing along.
Alec finally resurfaced from his hiding place to listen to what they were saying.
"There isn't really much to talk about, is there? I mean, yes on my birthday I'm always with my family, but it's the same thing every year. Magnus," Alec said, clearing his throat and taking his hands in his, staring up at Magnus with his bright blue eyes,"I trust that you will make this birthday different. That you'll do something different. Bring a new light into my life."
In that moment everyone in the room exchanged looks. They were watching Magnus and Alec. How the two of them looked at each other as if there was no one else there. As if the reflection of the other in their eyes was no different than that of an image of the world.
Magnus knew then, that he had Alec's heart in his hands. Just like Alec had his. There was no way their souls could ever be separated now.
He didn't say anything. He didn't think he needed to.
Yes there was a bunch of people in the room, including his mother, but Magnus tilted Alec's head up to him and kissed him. Nothing too much, but something to show.
"Alexander, do not fret your pretty little head. Your sister, your parabatai, your mother, me, and Simon and Clary have all come together to plan something just for you. Well, also sort of me, but mostly for you. All of us have agreed that despite the physical pain I've been dealt, the emotional pain you've been feeling recently is probably greater than that of a gunshot wound. So yes, you can trust me with your heart; I will never do what others have done to me."
There were tears in Alec's, his mother's, and Isabelle's eyes. The family looked at each other and laughed. Alec slung an arm around Jace, and -was that a wink and smile at Clary and Simon?
"I trust all you guys. You're all great people."

"Thanks for loving and supporting me when I couldn't do so myself."