heartache and hard times

Alec approached the Institute with caution. Something in the air felt off, but he didn't care. Magnus's information was too important.
On closer inspection, the front door was slightly open, immediately causing Alec's senses to heighten. He could hear voices, his sister's, Jace's, Clary's mainly.
And another voice he recognised all too well, that spoke with such a calming tone it was almost creepy.
"Guys?"
Silence. Heads turned.
"Great! The lord and saviour is here. Extra fun!" Jonathan said, sounding elated.
"Alec don't-" cried Isabelle, lurching forward to hold her brother back as he ran at Jonathan and tried to punch him.
"YOU'RE FUCKING INSANE! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE? WHY? WHY HAVE YOU FUCKING RUINED EVERYTHING? WHY-" Alec trailed off, breaking down in his sister's arms.
"Hmm. Perhaps I was wrong with my previous words to your lover."
"You were with Magnus?" Jace interrupted.
"Indeed I was. I didn't hurt him. Well, at least not physically," Jonathan sighed dramatically.
"What did you say, you son of a fucking bitch?!"
For a moment, Jonathan's eyes flickered.
For a moment, he looked scared.
To be fair though, anyone would be scared if a six foot tall lean-built young man threatened them very angrily.
"Oh, just trying to get in his head. Little things about how your relationship is never going to end well, etc."
"Jonathan, stop. This is unnecessary. If you're going to hurt anyone hurt me."
Jonathan turned his head for a moment to look at his sister.
Then, quick as a flash, he was down.
Alec's breath was harsh, but he looked unfazed by what he did. In fact, now that he'd done it once, he wanted more.
Tears were flowing from his eyes as he punched repeatedly, getting weaker and weaker each time until his bloodied hands gave up. His arms hurt from when his family and friends had tried to pull him away.
"Alec, listen. You need to stop."
He couldn't hear anything.
He couldn't feel anything.
Except pure hatred. He really was going to make Jonathan pay.

And certainly not in a nice way.
The others took this opportunity to drag Jonathan down to the containment cell. Well, whatever it was called. He'd be there when he woke up anyway.

----------

Jace Herondale was never going to admit it, but he was terrified. Of Jonathan, of what was to happen to Alec, of what Alec did.
Despite being badass as fuck, it was not a good idea to piss this Morgenstern kid off. And he definitely would be.
Jace turned his attention back to the matter on hand; Alec. He wasn't calming down. Not even Izzy could help. So he took out his phone and sneakily texted Magnus.

to glitter boy: Yo can u come over pls? Alec is in hysterics and not even Isabelle can calm him down. I think u of all people would be best rn.
from glitter boy: Sure. I'll bring Simon back too. Be there soon.
Magnus was not joking when he said soon, as Jace barely even had time to look up from his phone and Simon and Magnus were already standing in the foyer, fresh out a portal.
Magnus's eyes looked like pure fire. He was angry.
"Where is Alec, and what did that son of a bitch do to him?" came his loud, authoritative voice.
Alec looked up from where he sat huddled on the floor, face tear stained.
"Oh my."
Alec shot up and the pair were immediately in each other's arms. The other four shared a knowing glance and began to carry the -gladly- still unconscious Jonathan down to the cell.
"What happened? Why are your hands covered in blood?" asked Magnus, eyes full of concern. Any previous doubts were gone; Jonathan was clearly out to manipulate everyone.
"I saw him when I walked in. Magnus, I'm sorry, but he's unconscious because of me. I beat the shit out of him because I felt like I was physically going to vomit when I saw him. Everything he's done, picking on you and Simon specifically, all the inhumane killings, I just couldn't hold back. Not even Jace could hold me back," Alec replied, his breath stuttering.
Magnus opened and closed his mouth.
Then he laughed.
"Oh honey, why would I ever be mad at you for beating him up like that?! He literally just told me our relationship was doomed to fail and that you didn't care about me as much as I did you."
Alec froze. "He what?! Why? What's going on? He's a fucking psychopath. This kid needs to be stopped."
Magnus didn't reply, instead just let their foreheads touch. He stroked the side of Alec's face with his thumb and felt his muscles relax.
"It'll be over soon. Don't worry. There's nothing we can't do together."
And somehow, in the endless pain, Magnus and Alec held on.