danger and determination

Alec woke up and the first thing he noticed was that he couldn't feel his right arm. He was also completely unaware of what time it was.
"Magnus," he whispered softly. "Babe I can't feel my arm."
A soft groan of annoyance was the only reply.
"Babe."
Still no answer.
"Magnus please it's actually starting to-"
"Fiiiine. I don't want you to leave, and for the record, I was sleeping perfectly peacefully."
"Yes well, Izzy needs me. As much as I'd like to stay and cuddle you, duty calls. Take care of yourself," Alec said, trying to brush down the clothes he'd actually ended up sleeping in, "and don't do anything stupid. Love you," he finished. He left a trail of kisses along the scars on Magnus's chest, reminding him that he loved each and every part of him no matter what scars he bore.
Magnus loved it.

--------

As Alec left, Magnus had decided he wanted another nap. He quickly magicked a blanket around himself and was about to snuggle down again when a familiar voice spoke, dripping with ice cold hatred.
"Alone again, my dear friend."
Magnus felt himself freeze.
"Not you. Please, no. Not again."
Jonathan Morgenstern pouted sarcastically. "What? I thought you enjoyed our time together, no? Your crying out for that Nephilim boy was so sweet to watch. You know he doesn't really want you, right? He didn't come to rescue you early enough, did he?"
Magnus could feel his blood boiling. How dare Jonathan use Alec like this?! Alec was an amazing person, and he would never just use someone. He came, as far as he was aware, just after Magnus had passed out because of the pain. He remembered faintly hearing him and Jonathan talking, and how ready Alec was to have Jonathan's head rolling onto the floor.
"Pretty sure he wouldn't threaten to kill you, a fellow Shadowhunter, for hurting me if he didn't care."
Jonathan rolled his eyes. "Whatever. Your relationship is doomed to fail anyway. A gay Shadowhunter and a Downworlder? Recipe for disaster."
Magnus chose to ignore his statement.
"Why are you here? And why me and Simon?"
Jonathan considered the desperation in Magnus's voice for a moment, the slightly weaker tone that suggested he had been affected by his words.
"Simon is important to my sister. My sister is important to Jace. Killing Simon meant distracting Clary and making Jace want to protect her. With you, well, you're important to Alec, who is Jace's parabatai. Hurting you equals hurting Alec, which in turn hurts Jace. Vicious cycle, or a virtuous one in my eyes. It's all to tell the Clave I mean business. I'm out for blood.

And I won't stop until I have all of yours and your friends."

------------

"Alec oh thank god you're here. How's Magnus?"
"He's still asleep I think. He wants me to thank you all, Iz. He couldn't be more grateful, and we're both really happy."
Izzy gave him a soft, sad smile. "That's great. But unfortunately, you won't be happier for much longer."
Alec raised an eyebrow. "What's wrong?"
"Come to my room, I can't say here."
Isabelle reached back to hold her brother's hand as she took him to her room. She didn't know how he would take the news.
"Basically, someone eavesdropped on a conversation you had with whom they've figured out as a man; namely, Magnus. She said she heard you laughing and sounding happy and stuff. The girl reported you to our mom, but luckily Maryse was having none of it."
Alec closed his eyes as Izzy paused. He took in what she just told him, and almost immediately he felt his chest tighten.
Someone knew.
And they were most likely going to tell.
Alec tried as hard as he could to fight the stinging tears burning his eyes.
This is it.
This is what I was afraid of.
I could die.
As if sensing his intense upset, Isabelle pulled him into a tight hug.
"It'll be ok."
"We'll all fight for you."
But it won't be, he thought. Not unless the Clave changes its centuries-old views.
"I appreciate it," Alec forced the words out of his throat. He got up to leave and-
Thunk.
"Oh my god! I'm so sorry Alec!"
He looked at Clary in disgust.
"Thanks for hitting me with the door, carrot."
"Now now Alec, play nice."
Alec stared at Jace with the most unimpressed look he'd ever given, which was saying a lot.
"Alec's head isn't why we're here, guys. Remember?" Simon said.
"Oh yeah. Uh, you guys might wanna come with us."
The Lightwoods shared a glance.
"Why?"
"Clary's emotionally distant and ever so slightly insane brother has showed up, and we think we know where he is."

----------

"See this red dot? Well earlier, when I was just double checking the monitors, it appeared. Like, in the middle of nowhere. I watched the screen for a few seconds whilst it moved, because I wasn't sure what or who it was. At first, it headed in the direction of the Institute. It stopped for a brief second, before almost immediately zooming away in the direction of Brooklyn. It stayed in one specific spot there for a while, but it just recently started moving again. Now, it's near Times Square," Jace said, face hardened.
"But if it was Jonathan, what would he need in Brooklyn? What in Brooklyn could possibly be important to him?"
The group sat in silence for a minute.
"Magnus lives in Brooklyn," said Alec gravely. "We all know what happened last time that son of a bitch -no offense to your mother, Clary- was with him."
Simon tensed. If it was possible for a vampire to go even paler, he did it.
"He killed me. He turned me into this monster."
Izzy's face dropped. She put an arm around his shoulders to comfort him.
"I don't know about you guys, but I'm scared for Magnus's sake. I, for one, am going to go see him and make sure he's fine."
Simon shot out of his seat immediately. "I'll come with."
Alec was about to laugh when he realised he was serious.
He smiled at Simon. He wasn't as bad as he seemed.
"Sure. Anyone else?"
"Actually -I'd like to just go with you myself, if that's okay?"
Alec wasn't sure Jace would like this, but agreed anyway because he liked teasing him.
"One thing -be careful, both of you, alright?" he said, just as the polar opposite pair were about to leave.
"Of course," said Alec.
"Well you'll know if we don't come back," said Simon.

--------

As Jonathan left, Magnus wished Alec was there. He just wished he could be there to comfort him. The things he had said left a mark. About their relationship being doomed to fail, about Alec not caring enough.
He didn't want to believe them.
But what if they were true?
What if Magnus cared too much, and Alec too little?
What if he got his heart broken yet again?
He took a shuddering breath, and realised that there were tears rolling down his face.
He had never felt so alone.
A knock.
"Magnus?"
Magnus's head perked up. He wiped his face desperately, answering the door.
Simon and Alec.
He threw himself into Alec's arms.
"Was he here again?" Simon asked.
"Yes. Yes he was."
Alec's grip tightened as Magnus started shaking.
"What did he do? And how did he get here?"
"I- sorry, give me a minute," Magnus replied, letting go of Alec. "Um, well, he didn't do anything to me physically. But he got inside my head and told me things. Horrible things. He also told me that he's out for blood, and won't stop until he gets all of ours. He wants the Clave to know he's back and this time he means business."
Alec's face was stern. He was in full Shadowhunter mode. "When you say he wants our blood, what do you mean?"
"Wild guess, but I think he wants to kill us. I mean, I'm already dead, but you know what I mean," Simon retorted.
"I meant as in did he give you a reason?" Alec asked, not in the mood for jokes.
"No, but I suspect it involves biscuit," Magnus concluded.
Everything was silent for a moment.
"I need to get back to the Institute. They need to be notified of this," Alec said, almost immediately leaving, Simon still standing in Magnus's apartment.
"I'm sorry about him. He's just -uptight. When we were walking together, he told me what Izzy told him. Someone knows he's with you, and they told Maryse. She didn't do anything except tell the girl off, but every second gets Alec in more danger."
Magnus looked up at Simon from where he sat.
"Jonathan told me he thinks Alec doesn't love me."
Simon sat down with Magnus. He wasn't one hundred percent sure what to do, so he just awkwardly hugged him.
By the feel of him, Magnus appreciated it.
"Don't worry. I'm sure he does. He worries about you all the time."
All Magnus could do was whisper thank you.
He still felt lonely.

--------

Isabelle, Jace, and Clary were having dinner when they heard the knock.
"Oh, I'll get it. It's probably Alec and Simon," said Izzy, bouncing out of her seat.
But it wasn't.
"Hello, my dear Isabelle. Miss me?"

"Jonathan?"