newmans

This is the second update of today
-

All the stapling, drilling, screwing, measuring, and hammering drove me mad enough to stay in my room.

All at once, the interior decorators, security people, and the cable people showed up.

The smell of paint floated through the air, and everybody worked quickly.

That's what it sounded like atleast.

I looked at my window and saw the legs of a man on a latter.

My cameras were getting set up too.

"Miss?" Somebody called out.

It was the older white guy who drilled my alarm into the wall.

"That was fast. I hope that it doesn't work like a toy phone"

A few people in the room laughed, not knowing how insecure I really felt about my surroundings.

"I can assure you that this is state of the art material" He handed me a clipboard to sign and explained to me how it worked and the meaning of all the buttons.

The uncertainty on my face must have shown through, because he left me with two manuals.

"Excuse me, did you want the big cable box or the miniature one? The paperwork got messed up and I just brought both kinds for every room"

I dropped my manuals immediately after turning around.

The guy from the club was wiring my new television set.

I slipped away quickly after that, retreating to my room and locking my door.

I dived for my phone.

The lock clicked, and then the door opened as quickly as it shut.

I grabbed my computer and flung it.

Before I could even scream, his hand was on my mouth.

"Birthday girl, chill out. I'm at work. Don't something that you'll regret." He pulled his hand away.

I burst into tears after fully looking at him. "I didn't say anything! I'm taking it to the grave-"

"Shh!" He said forcefully. "I'm not checking for you. I know you didn't say shit. This is my day job. I'm a cable technician"

His name tag read Rahsun.

"Please go"

"Alicia, why you gotta be like that? That nigga deserved it. He killed my cousin, but you ain't know that. You probably just think that I'm a creature of the night or some shit."

He got my name off of the order information.

"My bad, birthday girl" He opened up his wallet, handing me his identification. "I just go by Rah"

It looked legitimate, but I didn't trust it.

"You got my address, I got yours" He stuffed his ID back, and a small pill fell out.

A light bulb flicked on somewhere in my head.

"What's that?"

He picked it up and shoved it deep into his pocket. "I'm not getting high or nothing. I won't hurt you either, but mind your own business"

"You made your business my business first" I spat.

He let off a half-smile. "Your eyes went dark"

"We have the same prescription"

-

Days Later

I ended up fleeing to a hotel room.

I sat at the desk for two days straight, watching the house security cameras to see if he would show.

Nothing changed.

I yawned and closed my eyes momentarily.

Sleep took over.

"Why don't you just get a guard and a gun, birthday girl?" Rah spoke over her shoulder.

Her heart left her body and she felt the wave of panic set in.

Omniscient

"Don't do that. Where's my friend at, Alicia?" Rah asked.

Almost as soon as he asked for her, she came out.

Rahsun had never seen anything like it.

He waited for her to say something.

"I don't need a murderer to speak of my name, so don't do it"

"Babydoll, you're not very welcoming" He made her stand.

"You're not welcome"

Her dark eyes stared directly into his.

All of her fear had dissolved itself, and he liked what he saw.

"You looking all in your camera systems, and I'm right behind you. You don't know nothing about the streets, birthday girl." He ranted, sitting down on her hotel bed. "Where's your gun?"

She slammed the laptop shut.  "Where's yours? I hope that you got rid of it"

"I got rid of plenty of them. Anything else need riddance?" He spat.

After that, he opened a pack of his medicine and drunk a swig of Alicia's apple juice.

He then tossed Alicia one, and she had no choice but to take it.

The twenty-ish minutes went by too slowly.

"Don't take one tomorrow. We going out and I want you feisty" He extended his hand and pulled her down on the bed.

"Nigga, nobody-"

"Come on, babydoll. How long you been sitting at that computer looking for me?"

More time than she would admit to.

He pulled her down on the bed while she transferred back.

Rahsun didn't even let go when her panic swooped in and she fought to get away from him.

"Don't do that! Don't change me!"

"I didn't change anything, birthday girl. It's not my fault that you built up a new personality. I told you that I would not hurt you and you made somebody fearless anyways."

Alicia put up a weak fight.

"You're drained babydoll. Just go to sleep." He reasoned, and actually sat up to to rock her.

"You're going to kill me"

"I'm not gon' do nothing"

-