twenty-eight.

+ trees +

+ trees +

"This isn't a mission" I said sulkily, as I climbed up a tree, my hand wrapping around a branch as I pulled myself up onto it. Ahren was already perched on the platform that was formed on the branches, waiting for me to climb up and meet him.

"What do you call this then?" He said leaning down at holding his hand out to me, pulling me up to sit next to him on the platform. I breathed out heavily, my breath condensing in the cold air around us. "A kill, I was hoping being sent somewhere, not just killing another engineer" I said, pushing myself up and crossing my arms, leaning against the thick trunk of the tree.

"This engineer is developing new weapons, it's not good for us if he doesn't die" Ahren said, reaching down and picking up the gun. "I could of at least had a hand to hand fight with this guy, or his escort, but here we are up on this damned platform with a rifle" I said rolling my eyes.

"This is a one person job anyway, don't understand why you needed to be here" I said angrily, kicking a stone over the edge, hearing it hit the ground beneath us. "No offence" I added quickly, Ahren scoffing lightly. "Do you want to do it? Or should I?" I asked him, standing to face him and placing my hand on the gun.

"You can, you claim to be so much better than me" he said with a smug look on his face. "And I'm only here to look after you, Mathias wanted me here" he said shoving the rifle towards me, I took it, holding it by my side. "I don't need a babysitter" I growled, taking a step nearer to him. He laughed mockingly, crossing his arms over his chest, standing his ground.

"And what exactly are you going to do? Kill me?" He asked, lowering his head to look at me. "Sorry to say princess, but you're stuck with me, and I'm not pleased with it either" he said raising his eyebrows.
"Well don't let me falter your smile" I replied condescendingly, turning away from him. I laid the gun on the wooden railing, bending down to see the sights.

We waited for a while, the wind rustling the trees cutting through the silence, until we heard the car coming. I lined up the sights exactly, now waiting for the car to drive to the target. "I'd go for the left side of the tree if I were you" Ahren said to me.

"No, the branches would block the view, I need to get it straight through the window" I said grudgingly, not moving the gun in the slightest. "Right" Ahren replied curtly, I could feel him shifting his weight, the wood creaking beneath him and I. "Would you stay still, you're distracting me" I snapped at him, the car finally coming into view. "I need to do this" I whispered to myself, psyching myself up.

The car ride into my sights, the engineer in the passenger seat while an agent was driving him. I pressed the trigger, the bullet travelling straight through the wind shield and into the engineers head, blood going everywhere. The car came to a halting stop, the Agent throwing the car door open blood splattered over him. I didn't move, looking at him through the sights as he drew a gun.

His head looked in my direction, his face hardening. "Shit, he's seen us" I said getting ready to reload the gun to kill him too. I reached my arm out but before I could another gun went off, hitting me in the shoulder. I grunted in pain, rolling over into my back, but little did I know the platform wasn't that big, causing me to fall straight off of it.

I smashed off of branches, throwing me around as i made my way to the floor. "Alyona" i heard as i fell, hoping Ahren picked up the gun and shot the Agent before he found me. I smacked into the floor, my body twisted on its self. I gasped for some air, being winded on my slump to the floor. What was with me and falling off of things.

I heard branches snapping, someone coming closer. "Shit" I said trying to push myself up with my good arm, reaching down to grab a knife. "Who are you?" The agent shouted as he got closer, I could see the SSR badge on his jacket, causing me to tear my eyes away from it, looking at his face.

"You shot me" I growled, standing up off of the floor as he got closer, hurling the knife towards him. He dodged it easily, rising his gun towards me and shooting. I barely missed it, diving to the floor into a roll, but i was a little late as it grazed the back of my leg. I clenched my jaw, mentally telling myself not to scream. I slid one of the discs out of the holster, throwing it at the man before he could shoot again. It attached to his lower abdomen as I clicked the button from the box attached to my belt.

The blue shocks of light traveled through the man, crumpling him to the floor. I let out a deep breath, reaching up to the bullet hole in my shoulder, my fingers getting covered with blood.I pushed down on it to stop the bleeding, sending pain through my body. I bent down to pick up the gun lying next to the unconscious man. Aiming it at his chest and shooting straight into it, blood going everywhere.

I checked the back of my leg, the bullet leaving a massive scrape over my calf. "You okay?" I heard a voice say from behind me, turning to see Ahren running up to me with the gun in his hand. "You can't shoot from above?" I asked, looking up to see the platform only a few feet away from where I was fighting.

"I couldn't shoot, it would have gotten both of you" he said holding out his hand to my to stable me. "There was loads of opportunities" I said taking my hand away to show him the amount of blood pouring out of my bullet wound. "Is it deep?" I said letting him see it.

"It looks" he said looking closer, "like you'll live". He grabbed my good arm, throwing it over his shoulder, supporting my weight. I grunted, the movement hurting my whole body. "Let's go" he said as he started walking, basically dragging me along with him. "You should of gone to the right of the trees, it would of gone straight through the Agent into the engineer" he said smugly, wrapping one arm around my waist and just lifting me up slightly to make it easier for him.

"Shut up" i said through clenched teeth, trying to not slit his throat out of annoyance. "You know I'm right" he said as I squeezed his shoulder with my good hand. "Okay okay" he said with a grimace of pain, releasing my hold on his shoulder.

"Just shut up"

——

A/N: hey my dudes, I've been struggling to write chapters so sorry if this one is crappy, I'm just trying to set up some background behind Ahren and Alyona's relationship right now.
But please vote and comment, and don't feel scared to message me lol, I'm always up for a chat with anyone in the fandom
But I'll see y'all next time
Buh bye 👋🏼

 But please vote and comment, and don't feel scared to message me lol, I'm always up for a chat with anyone in the fandomBut I'll see y'all next time Buh bye 👋🏼