[Arc 2] Ch.2 Grand Inquisition

Dovesong

"Hat with a feather, got it." Vlad said as if he was just repeating what she said. In the meantime, I heard Magus Ti'en next to him say 'yes' under his breath.

"Skipping an hour of discussion to get to this point, what items are you professionally bringing to Magus Perchwell's defense.

"Huh? Oh yes!" the nervous Vladimir was back as he scrambled to the back of the paper work in his hand. "The traditional rule against involving students in untested magic is primarily to protect inexperienced students from dangerous experiments. But I would contest that none of the students involved were inexperienced with magic, and the act of making an orb glow with that magic circle was as fundamentally dangerous as lighting a small candle with a match."

He read the list on the paper. "On page ten are the four students involved. Tiera Asmos Ti'en is a prodigy and Voldred Sage. Nerinin Silverpelt, a potent Mage Slayer trained by a Magus and Knight rank number one, Flint Teach, a powerful spell caster and hardy undefeated warrior in his own right, and finally Jules Alz'Bluecoast, the student-daughter of both Bluecoasts and a specialist in runes. They all have at least three years of formal training. I can argue that it is natural, according to old customs of independent magic training, for apprentices to aid in new or difficult spells. Sometimes even required. I can also argue that on reflection those four being there created a safer environment given their trainings and specialties. I also have evidence that the composite circle they used did in fact channel Ley magic and was crafted to be fundamentally safer and more efficient than the magic circles we are familiar with." Vlad talked fast as he read through the list. He then sucked in a large breath of air when he finished.

Vlad flipped over the page. "The next two pages break down the composite circle in easy to understand terminology to prove its safe use. And finally, as per the manifest on the second page, Sorcerers encourage the exploration, research, and cataloging of new and unfamiliar magic based on the concept that we don't know everything in this complicated world. Sorcery is meant to grow and expand by allowing innovation and exploring the mysteries of magic. In fact, they are expected to take chances. On a personal note, I've worked tirelessly on this project. I've poured over every word in the Audacitor's Codex, tested every experiment, and had many conversations with the author. Reputation be damned, I wouldn't bet my life on something I didn't whole-heartedly believe in. ma'am."

"Do you really believe that if we went over every item in detail that she will go free?" Magus Shiro asked.

"I do."

"And if she went off free, you would still fall on your sword."

"Yes."

"Even though you love her."

"Did I stutter?" Vlad said and I felt frazzled. Just what birdfeed did they eat this morning?

"Magus Kallit, what is your personal take on the merits of the students that First Sorcerer Magus Turner mentioned." The Grand Magus turned to her left while addressing one of the most outspoken Magus's.

"I hardly think there qualifications have any relev-" Magus Kallit was cut off in the middle of her statement.

The Grand Magus had used her two finger and flicked her wrist as if drawing a quick line over Magus Kallit's throat from across the table. When she did, no sound came out of her mouth and she reached for her throat looking very distressed.

"I asked a specific question, I wasn't opening up a discussion. Magus Watson, same question." The Grand Magus looked down toward the end of the table to her right to a person who had been leaning back on his chair out of sight.

I hadn't even noticed the man as he sighed and leaned forward as if he thought he might get away with not interacting with his loud peers. Magus Watson was a competent middle-aged man. He was human with neat cut hair and stubble, but unlike the others his hair was mixed with a sprinkling of dark and grey hair.

"I have had all four of them in my classes over the years and Miss Silverpelt took an interest in the advanced battlefield medic course. She had many insights from first-hand experience and displayed a remarkable competence with magic of all kinds. She was intelligent, quick on her feet, and frankly if I were going to war, I'd stay next to her in case of emergencies as she is now before the lot of you in your prime." He pointed at the people on the table and the rest us in the room. "She'd stab a dragon with me over her shoulder while applying healing magic before my dumbass bled out. And Miss Alz'Bluecoast was the personal apprentice of both the Bluecoasts, let's not even talk about how often the mad world trotter stays in one place, let alone anywhere his pervy wife is when she goes onto one of her baby benders. That says something about not only Sebas but that girl."

Magus Watson stabbed the table with his finger to emphasize his point. "Students aspire to becoming a Magus Initiates within the time they are here or before they graduate and fail. People older than me fall short of where she is at in terms of intelligence, personality, and perseverance. No one will argue that Flint's a cocky little shit or that he is stupidly talented, but he never missed a class without a proper reason, turned in all his paperwork, and passed all his exams with flying colors. Not to mention that boy's sense for danger borders on precognition. Don't even get me started on Miss Asmos Ti'en, the driving force behind some of the quickest growing companies next to the demon Queen Seraphim. She's a bloody Vuldred Sage and I'd bet my salary that she's smarter than everyone in this room. Half my salary she's could outsmart the Grand Magus once. I'd give the bloody spell book of untested dangerous magic called the Audacitor's Codex to her before the lot of you. You all couldn't even be bothered to read two pages."

Magus Watson held up his paperwork that had been folded over as he read through it. "Some of our textbooks aren't as well written as this pamphlet. Maybe if you took more than a passing glance at this then you'd realize that he not only hand wrote all of these, but everything is formatted with clear explanations and supportive evidence. If the man who wrote this says it was safe, and those trained mages in question were there, then I'm inclined to believe him. Unfortunately, I don't believe it clears Perchwell of all consequences since the incident in question happened before the organization of Sorcery."

"Thank you, my dear Watson. There you have it First sorcerer, even the only voice on this council that hasn't vehemently opposed you, hasn't completely stood behind you." The Grand Magus cocked her head to a slight angle as she looked at Vlad. "You may sit down, First Sorcerer."

Vlad bowed and sat down.

"Professor Hohenheim, Captain Wilkensong, please bring your findings forward." The Grand Magus Directed.

I cowered, this was supposed to be a council and gathering of the most power mages in the world. But it was clear just by her commanding authority and presence that Roseline Shiro was in charge here. The others postured plenty, but it was like being in the room with a queen. Once she opened her mouth we were quelled by her inherent power and authority.

Hohenheim stood up. "I have no plans to make any spectacle, here are the facts."

As Hohenheim read his paper he stated the date, the hour, and even word for word every relevant exchange. With every word I felt my heart sink further and further.

"I will not mince words, Magus Perchwell swore an oath. And when she became a Professor, she accepted the responsibility to put her students' safety before her scholarly pursues. It is true that she bribed Flint to clear the area, but those four were still students, these were still school grounds, and although First Sorcerer Turner has accomplished much and can prove the safety of the ritual at this point, it does not change that in the moment he was right when he had her detained. The ritual was previously untested in any fashion and violates the very clearly defined role as an educator to facilitate a professional environment for educating the youth of today. We must also recognize that other than being children and students they are not the sons and daughters of simple farmers. Jules Alz'Bluecoast is the adopted daughter of two notable members of the Archana, Nerinin Silverpelt is the princess of Grandine, Tiera Asmos Ti'en is the second princess of Teagon, and Flint Teach is the only son of New Providence's Pirate Queen. Stating only that they all also have personal ties to the Phantom Prince who has been the focus of Teagon, Grandine, and Sudaven. If these four students had been harmed by the carelessness of a single magus, it may have caused an international incident."