[Arc 6] Ch. 1 Book Worm

Flint

Minerva pouted as we made our way through the shopping district overlooking the beach when we were far enough from the suppression force that we didn't have to worry about them anymore.

"It was just getting good I can't believe someone reported us." Minerva puffed her cheeks as she pouted.

In the meantime, I saw Hyde grit his teeth in frustration. Like Minerva had no business being so cute.

"You sure are a handful, Red." Hyde growled and I could have sworn I saw his cheeks pinken for half a second.

"You're right." Minerva slapped her face with her hands. Pumf pumf pumf pumf. Then she took a deep breath. "I need to get my act together. Being noble is about controlling one's desires." She made a brave face while her cheeks were still glowing from her slaps.

I watched as a small part of tension eased from Hyde's side. "A mature response, I'll give you credit for regaining your composure, especially considering your Berserker class."

"You can thank my parents for that. I'm told that my mother was very gentle and won my father with her kindness. My father made sure that was a key part of training, especially after the whole Phantom Prince thing." Minerva confessed.

Hm? Cool facts.

But looking at Hyde I say that his jaw had dropped. He was always a step behind Minerva, so she didn't see but for a moment Hyde had completely dropped her guard. But only for a moment. He turned his head towards one of the shops. Without missing a beat, he completely changed direction.

As if sensing that his presence was gone Minerva turned as soon as Hyde entered a book store.

Book store? Hyde?

Books didn't really fit his grumpy image.

Together Minerva and I looked at each other shrugged and followed Hyde into the store.

*

"Excuse me." Hyde approached the desk and the cute little clerk.

"How can I help you, sir?" the brunette at the clerk's desk looked up from the book she closed and hid beneath the counter.

"What's your favorite book?" Hyde asked and flashed a shy smile that wasn't intimidating in the least. I had to do a double take... was Hyde hitting on her? This was a pretty drastic shift in the winds.

"I'll tell you, but you should know that I have a boyfriend." She smiled in a flawless counterattack. Ooooh, sorry buddy. I felt that one from the stands, how will you respond Mr. Hyde?

"I see, are you happy with him?" He asked. Bad move man.

"Of course, we are very happy, he just gave me this necklace the other day." She showed off her necklace and puffed out her chest in victory.

Rest in peace my friend. I'll give the eulogy at the funeral.

"That's good, I'm happy for you." Hyde said sadly. "My ex broke up with me last weekend and I just saw her a second ago holding hands with another man." Hyde looked at the counter sadly and the clerk was taken aback... did she just look guilty? Was this the greatest comeback I've ever seen? "My friends recommended I find some way to distract myself." He tilted his head at me and Minerva. "I figure a book or two would help distract my mind at night, but I wouldn't even know where to start since I'm just visiting. I got my first contract as a warlock and trying to get my head on straight."

Hyde avoided eye contact with the clerk, "but maybe I'll just take a look around I wouldn't want to bother you too much." He turned away from her.