[Arc 12] Ch.7 Mountain's Fury

I waved my hands to calm the crowd.

"In the spirit of friendly competition, the winner will be able to make one request of the other, the terms of which have already been agreed upon. In order to make things interesting each combatant will be able to place one restriction on combat that may give them the upper hand." I announced, and a cheer rang in excitement. It was more thorough now that everybody was on board and ready for the fighting to start.

I held up my hand and a small glowing magic circle hung above it. I held it out to Alpha so he could speak into it and have his voice amplified as well.

"No outside weaponry." Alpha spoke into the magic circle.

It was a wise sentiment given that Nerinin was a weapon specialist in a league of her own boasting mastery over more fields than nearly any other I knew of. She was a Jack of all trades and master of more than a few.

Nerinin snickered. She reached up under her red cape and unclipped something. "All things considered First Sorcerer..." she pulled something out of her cape that I had long since forgotten about. "... I preferred your Armory model of the Library, even if it was tricky to get the hang of." She placed a small steel box in my hand.

The Armory was my attempt to expand the market of the Library, but it was a bust. I tried to incorporate a quick release mechanic that would release one weapon without a combination. But, more often than not, it ended up shooting the weapon out and hurting the user or someone near them. There was also the limitation on its carrying capacity and the expensive material used to construct it to be both durable and functional. In the end it was a decent concept that failed in execution due to the high learning curve.

When I accepted it, I got a good look at the wear and tear on the device and I felt a swelling of pride that it wasn't a complete bust. And it only went to show how innately talented Nerinin was.

"On your recommendation I may revisit the Armory Series please drop by sometime and give me your thoughts on it." I said warmly.

"I will absolutely be dropping by your office professor." Nerinin smiled wolfishly at me as I had walked right into her trap.

This girl really is something else.

I swallowed nervously. Once again glad that I wasn't her target for today, but I kicked myself for letting my guard down.

I decided to bite my tongue and pointed the magic circle at Nerinin so she could speak into it.

"I know a bit about your reputation, Alpha." Nerinin said. "I propose a wind magic restriction on both of us."

"Oh joy, I suspected as much." I answered.

Sand and wind magic. I'm glad I spent the extra time on the barrier otherwise there would be sand everywhere. I pulled out a small box about the size of a deck of cards, in fact it was a deck of cards of sorts. I pulled out two identical cards that had a green spiral on it.

"Hold out your wrists." I instructed them and then laid the card face up on their wrists. The cards melted into their skin leaving a black and white outline of the card. "If you cast any spell other than wind magic this mark will break, and you'll have lost." I decide to plug up the disappointment that might be caused if they do end up breaking the rules. "That said, we could also just say that the new victory condition is to force their opponent into using a magic other than Wind magic. For instance, healing magic, how long can you persevere through the pain."

I turned to the audience, "What say you, are you ready for the Wind magic match for the ages!"

I finally got a decent response from the crowd.

*

[Sebas]

Professor left me and Nerinin in the sand for the safety and shade of the pavilion. The cross quartz that he had sent up into the air shattered and activated a bubble-like cube around us.

"Oh, I am going to enjoy this." Nerinin cracked her knuckles.

Gulp.

Nerinin really is a different kind of monster. More than anyone before it was like standing in front of a mountain. As I rubbed my jaw and adjusted my mask, I noted that she also hit like one too.

Wind magic, huh?

Nerinin is really keen on outdoing me somehow. I know the wolves don't see wind magic as the strongest magic, but ever since I beat her that first time when we met it's been a point of Rivalry between us.

I told her everything I could just now, and she responded with a right hook that sent me straight here.

Nerinin.

She was everything but a wild animal. She was talented and shrewd. The very model of a true warrior in the body of a beautiful woman. Everything I lacked, she had. Power, confidence, courage. It would be easy to call her violent until you truly got to know her. The inferno burning behind her blue eyes was an unquenchable forest fire of battlelust. If Julie was a charismatic tamer than Nerinin was a devourer. That said, she had a mountain's worth of self-control and discipline. Yet another thing that I counted myself as lacking.

Which made her all the scarier in my opinion.

I told her I started the Nightclaw, and she nodded as I said they betrayed me. I told her I was trying to stop them as well. When she asked why I couldn't come back I answered that I had been cursed for lack of a better word. That I needed to save someone to break the curse and that things were complicated especially if Julie found out. She had been calm and collected the entire time. She said I'd need to prove I was worth waiting for with a battle hungry grin and I explained the details about the exhibition match which she applauded me for. That's when I made the mistake.

"I'm sorry for Revein, it's my fault he died."

I apologized for something I had no business apologizing for.

The battle hungry grin turned sour.

"Revien was a warrior and died an honorable death saving more people than just you alone. Don't trample on his sacrifice."

Her words were stern and noble. She had the bearing of a true noble, however in that moment... I did not.

"But-"

She didn't let me put my foot in my mouth any further and knocked me through the wall and almost a hundred yards to the pavilions with stupidly amazing aim.

HOW DID SHE AIM THROUGH A WALL!?

Every time I think I'm some kind of special I learn about something else that surprises me. I also know that she aimed for the magically reinforced pavilion roof instead of the course but much softer beach sand.

Now she wanted to fight me with wind magic even though I explained that I was cursed and hadn't gotten any stronger since I'd seen her last. Some people would call it a bottleneck, but I've been calling it a dead end. Or to Nerinin who considers strength above all else, a curse. Even though I'm quite confident in my abilities as they've developed over the last few years, I haven't felt the limitless growth that I had before. I'm stronger and my body has a greater capacity for magic, but I always feel like I've been banging my head against a wall.

But there is no use complaining about it now...

Even though I know I can't win, I still have plenty of tricks up my sleeves.