[Arc 11] Ch. 8 Nothing Happened!

Minerva

While we recovered, Hyde started explaining things around us. "These masks are made with fox magic, while those flowers are made with druidic elf magic. A wind spell keeps them afloat and they gather magic in the air. When it becomes full a simple touch will cause it to explode into many more."

"What about those?" I pointed at some floating paper lanterns tied to some of the displays so they wouldn't float away.

"It's a demonkin trick. There is a cross quartz shard in there that gives off heat and light but doesn't burn. It heats up the air and causes the lantern to float. When it gets dark, they will give off enough light to make it feel like the day hasn't stopped." Hyde wouldn't stop smiling as he explained it.

"You really like magic, don't you?" I remarked while teasing him a bit with a nudge of my hip.

"I really do." Hyde confessed unabashedly. "There are many ways to hurt people with it, but there are many more ways that it makes our world beautiful. I struggle most when people make up their own ideas on how it must be."

"Is that what influenced your decision to become a warlock?" I asked.

"Yep, I learned that the word mage was too heavy for me. But Warlocks use magic how they wish to obtain results. Only those results matter." Hyde mused.

This was so interesting. The Sebas I knew was a distant bookworm. He always had a cold unfeeling gaze reserved for me. There were times that I was able to see his unabashed smile from a distance, but it was never for me. Hyde resembled that part of Sebas initially. He was cold and distant. His scowl seemed to be displayed for my sake. But he had the wisdom of a sage, and the acting prowess of a spy.

This version of them was so unique. His smile was like the sun, it was so bright and filled me with such warmth. His light-hearted charm and lust for adventure was contagious. This was the person that had been hidden from me for so long, and in many ways, I was completely overwhelmed by his charisma. And for some reason he was exactly what I imagined he'd be like. It was the man I watched spitefully from a distance before I was aware of my emotions.

Now he showed me that smile. It was for me.

"Come on. There are a few more things to see besides food." He took my hand and led me somewhere else.

*

Hyde brought me to a street that was lined with booths that had games and prizes.

The first game had a bunch of colorful wooden pegs on a platform inside the booth. From the side we'd throw ring and try to land them on the pegs. Both of us excelled to the point that the manager of the booth offered us the best prize if we would just leave him the rest. Hyde opted for the second-best prize, seeing as the best prize was a set of card coupons for the 'Lady in white Samite' store.

The second-place prizes were simple charm necklaces, that was made from red coral. It was just a trinket but when he insisted on placing it around my neck, I swear that my heart almost beat out of my chest. He even teased me by mentioning my face was as red as my hair.

I couldn't help it.

I did have a slip up though.

After playing a few games Hyde retreated to one of the restrooms. And while waiting I sat on a bench and just tried to maintain my composure. How was I supposed to make him fall in love with me when I was so flustered that I could hardly see straight?