[Arc 12] Ch. 1 Old Faces

Sebas

After the first day of the Festival D'aulony Hyde was never to be seen again. Probably.

Jekyll's Backstory for being absent during the Sorcerer's trip was that he had been working with the local adventurer's guild as a medic. He had made several appearances with the sorcerers during his off time and I've gleaned the memories from my offshoots. Luckily nothing major has happened. So, I could get my bearings going forward.

Today is the day they build the huge pavilion. It's a curious tradition, and like any status symbol opportunity, plenty of nobles partake in the event. Many magic knights employed to those nobles are provided emblems to wear to display their house. Surprisingly, even the tubbiest nobles put on a grin and hammered a few nails without complaint since they were still able to display how much manpower they were contributing.

Those who weren't working on the construction were nearby on the beach running stalls, prepared complimentary meals to the workers. The Cherub's Garden company was there to host and provide childcare, complete with meals and activities. Because of the manpower involved was normally excessive, they were established in shifts while a set of games were going on. Similar to an all ages sports festival.

In the city limits, the stalls that stretched on for streets and streets the day before were condensed to the main street and a few side streets. Since there was still that opportunity to make money from students and foreigners who didn't want to participate in hard labor or wanted to continue their flings into the next day.

I have to find a time to meet with Nerinin. But to do that I had to find out what their schedule was. The idea that l could just approach Julie as Hyde had crossed my mind. But there were too many variables. Besides, I have my own ways for gathering information.

Inside a spare room the Hostess lent me, I created an offshoot from one of my tails. I hand him a pouch with eight vials of magic potions. He would create duplicates and use demon eye to collect and process information sent to him via the copies and then he would forward the information to me. This is the technique that got me caught in Teagon so I've been hesitant to use it.

My previous slip up involved creating all the duplicates from a single location and then managing them from that place. Because of the amount of magic I used, I had given away my location. So, displacement was important when using this strategy. My offshoot would make duplicates one at a time across an area. It was time consuming but necessary.

In the meantime, since Hyde is retired, I'm going to have to fall back on another disguise before Jekyll is "discharged" this evening. The safest thing I can do to avoid both my mom, the Nightclaw, and whoever else was looking for me.

Just thinking back to when I left Sudaven with what seemed like limitless resources to now where it's me and a handful of confidants and caches, it really feels like I've been run into the ground. I somehow lucked out when Actor defected to my side as a double agent. Right now, he was my primary contact with the Archangels, the Adventurer's Guild, and Boss Tir.

I am basically on my own today, but luckily, I am a one-man army with the skills I need to make it on my own.

*

I straightened my clothes and looked at myself in the mirror. For the first time, I was looking at the spitting image of the human that I used to be. It's the only disguise I haven't used. And honestly, I need a bit of a break. Some 'me' time was in order.

I obscured my face with the hood of a sleeveless hoodie over a plain shirt and took a relaxing stroll through the city. There were so many ups and downs during the last few days that I could feel my nerves tearing apart at the seams. It was to the point where even the crowds that caused me so much anxiety felt relaxing.

Maybe it was because "Benny" didn't have to keep up any kind of appearance. I didn't have to be anyone's prince charming. I didn't have to plan my alibi. I didn't have to put up a front. I could just enjoy the sights. And better yet, I could enjoy the food.

I got a seat at a café that was packed full of couples sometime in the afternoon, so I was given odd looks when I sat down alone and ordered an extra-large milkshake for two. Maybe I was able to have this much confidence because I had just been on a date last night, so I ignored them completely.

My seat was inside the restaurant by the window, so I began people-watching. It was an easy way to pass the time.

I wish it could have lasted.

A purple ponytail entered my view. Attached to it was a very pretty, very familiar face. It was Florence, the disguise that Lilith had adopted to get closer to Nerinin and Julie as friends. It was fortuitous, except for the fact that she looked like she was alone and frantically looking for something or someone. She then ran into the same café as me and started looking around.

"Excuse me miss are you okay?" One of the workers asked her.

Florence nearly jumped out of her skin. "Kya! Hi um, I lost my friends in the crowd and a group of jerks were really insistent about helping me find them." She fidgeted nervously. "Is there anyone that would mind if sat with them for a second? I'll order something."

The worker tapped her lip. "Hmm." She looked around the room. "Most everyone is in couples today..." The was when she noticed me... sitting by myself. "...Oh! there is someone." She reached behind the concierge desk and pulled out a menu. "I'll let my parents know to come with me for a second."

Crap.

Not coming up with a backstory was backfiring. Instinctively, I tugged on my hood to hide my face. While trying to think of my next move. But it felt wrong to be so cold to Lilith after everything we have been through.

"Excuse me, sir. Do you mind if this young lady sits with you? I'll throw in something extra for the trouble." The worker asked. But she didn't need to bribe me since I was already going to help.

"Sure, um." I stood up and took off the hoodie and straightened my shirt. "Maybe this will help?" I looked away as I over Florence my hoodie, but I couldn't help but notice the worker flinch when she saw my face.

I sighed. I guess ugly was ugly, no matter what world you are in.

But Florence didn't hesitate. "Thank you. I'll be sure to return it."

It surprised me so much that I looked at her and she smiled as she looked me right in the eyes. There wasn't a hint of revulsion or apprehension. I was a little dumbfounded as I sat back down.