[Arc 9] Ch. 2 Pre-date Nerves

[Above: a teaser of the commissioned artwork of Sebas. I guess you could call it canon art of the character. Currently available on patreon. But I'll be releasing it in teasers and bits here and on my Instagram over time. Consider joining patreon to help me bring you this and more artworks. Artist:Escapist Howl]

Sebas

"Wha-what about you? What are you going to be doing?" Julie reached for a lifeline.

"We'll take the same carriage but as soon as we get there, I have to meet up with the rest of the student council so we can do our part." With a mercilessly sweet smile Sable left Julie out-at-sea.

"Which is?" Julie begged again and I was getting close to feeling offended.

"It's called compartmentalization. So just worry about your assignment." Sable put a mocking finger over her lips in a hush-hush fashion.

I "finished" with my hair and grabbed my briefcase by the handle. "Is there anything else we need to know before we go?" I asked.

"Just protect the target at all costs and meet here or at the station if something happens... You know you can't bring that right? They don't allow you to bring in any hardcore research or magic stuffs." Sable pointed at my case.

"Trust me, I'll need this. They'll let it through." I hold up the case and smiled.

"Can I check it...?" Sable asked.

I consented and she looked inside it. "You're serious?" She cocked an eyebrow at me.

"Trust me." I clicked the case closed. "I'm going to need it. Especially if this princess is half as hot-headed as you make her out to be."

"Fine... I guess." Sable relented.

I walked over to Julie who was still squatting and seemed to be giving herself some kind of pep talk. It's pretty freaking adorable. "Don't worry," I held my hand out to her to help her up and she looked up at it. "We're in this together, so I'm going to protect you too, Jules. No matter what."

Something happened. I can't quite put my finger on it, but she immediately calmed down. She reached up and I pulled her to her feet. I couldn't help being dragged into her eyes that sparkled with something unnaturally potent. I hadn't even realized we were still holding hands.

"Just like that. See Julie, you've already got the hang of it. Just do that tonight and you'll be fine." Sable teased.

Both Julie and I looked down at our hands somehow our fingers were interlocked. Julie panicked and froze trying to find the means to protest. Meanwhile, I panicked and yanked my hand away so fast I pulled her off balance and she fell forward into me. Her tiny body once again felt like it was molded just for the space in front of my chest and I fought the urge to instinctively hold her tight and never let go.

After I caught her, she backed away immediately and almost fell over backwards, so I held tight to her arms as she held onto them for balance.

Her eyes were spinning with a wild blush building on her face. She made a point to not make eye contact. "I-I guess my legs feel asleep, I'm sorry."

I also couldn't look directly at her, she was too freaking cute. I'm going to die. I'm seriously going to die! After all this time and all the people and things that tried to kill me, I'm going to die from an overdose of cuteness. I cleared my throat, "ahem. I figured that might be the case so... so that's why I didn't let go. It had nothing to do with how feminine and cute your tiny hands are. You're so clumsy, and I bet those heels aren't doing you any favors. S-so I have no choice." I held out my elbow. "Given your track record and for the sake of the mission you should just hold on to me for now."