Home at last

The days flew bye, Katie getting happier as the final day grew on. It was around 5 when their new parents showed up, Katie suddenly allowing the nerves build in her 5 year old body. She instantly hid behind her older brother holding his hand.

Matt ,however, couldn't wait to be rid of their foster home, ready to start his new life with a new family. He held his sister close as they packed up their bags and left for the light blue car in the driveway. The excitement had kept the young girl awake and she soon fell asleep in her brothers arms, looking at her in her peaceful state reminded him of the promise he made to his parents that fatal day.

I promise I'll look after her, mom and dad.
I'll never let anything hurt her, I love you guys.

He thought rubbing his eyes to rid his eyes of unwanted tears.

-§-

They drove for hours, Matt dropping in and out of consciousness whilst Katie slept the entire way. The scenery digressed from city to country as the houses became less frequent and the buildings went from 20 stories to 3. A sense of freedom filling Matts head as they pulled in to the drive of a medium sized house, alike the others on the road.

There were a grand total of 5 houses on the entire road all very close together with a mass of field on the edges.

They arrived late, around 9 at night but that did not stop two  boys running to the edge of their fence that separated the houses to spectate.

"Hello! You must be Colleen and Sams new children" the taller of the two called out waving. "I'm Shiro and this is Keith" he says motioning to the smaller one behind him.
"Hi, I'm Matthew but you can call me Matt and this is my sister Katie" he says looking toward the half asleep little girl holding on to his hand. "Hello" she says timidly looking the smaller boy in the eyes. His eyes were a deep glistening purple, truly breath taking to the young girl as she looked at his raven locks that also complimented his features. "Hey" he said groggily to her.
"How old are you guys?" Shiro piped up taking away the awkwardness that hung over the quad.
"I'm 10 and Katie here is 5" Matt politely answered and watched as the boys eyes widened animatically.
"I'm 10 too! And Keith is 6" Shiro excitedly answered.
They talked on for another good 15 minutes, Katie and Keith merely staring at each other. Colleen and Sam watched as they chatted and unloaded the car putting their bags in their rightful rooms. They didn't have many things and so they had bought a lot of clothing and simple things and decorated the rooms as if they were University accommodation.

Katie wandered up to her room which was next doors to Matts, it had a small double bed in the corner with a wooden head board that matched  the material to the chest of draws, wardrobe and desk. The wardrobe and draws held many clothes of different varieties and Katie drew out a light green lion print night dress and put it on.
She also had a connecting bathroom to her room, a wave of exhaustion suddenly hit her as she searched the room and decided she'd finish looking around tomorrow to ease her inquisitive young mind.
She clambered in to bed which was beside the window, she didn't shut the window as she over to look out at the stars as she lowly drifted off to a peaceful sleep.

Home at last.