prologue

This book started as a two-part one-shot in my other book 'songs about us', but I got attached to the story and I believe it has the potential to be its own book. It's also a story inspired by James bay's song 'slide'.

Sean: 24-25 years old

Kaycee: 23-24 years old

also, everything I write here it's pure fiction and it has nothing to do with the real-life of those mentioned in it or real-life events.

**********

Kaycee was having the worst day. She had so many things to do and yet nothing at the same time as  she spent the whole day locked up at home doing laundry, cleaning, organizing.

When he got home, they had so many things to talk about with each other and yet nothing at the same time. He could tell her about his day but it would hurt to much for her to hear, and she could tell him about her day but he didn't really care. And fot her, feeling lonely when not alone was the worst kind of loneliness.

Things had been like so for a few months. He would go and live his life outside their house walls while she stayed in, hoping that when the night came they would connect and somehow she wouldn't be alone anymore. But that never happened, and night after night she was getting more and more isolated inside herself.

He didn't want to be there anymore, their home was just a house for both of them now and the world outside was making him happier. He didn't want to be with her anymore but he would never say it, not now at least because he was trying really bad to be a good person.

She looked at the clock on her bedside table, three am and she couldn't sleep as the bedsheets felt like suffocating. While he was peacefully snoring, she snuck out of the bedroom and walked in silence downstairs to the backyard, carrying two things in hand.

It felt cold outside and the night was quiet, only the sound of crickets filled the air. She tugged herself into a blanket that was over the outside couch, the material soft against her legs. With shaky hands, she dialed the number engraved on her mind and pressed the phone against her ear. Hoping and fearing she would be answered because she shouldn't be doing this.

They had a deal and she was very much aware that she wasn't supposed to be calling, she knew she was breaking it by trying to reach out but it had been months and it was three am and she couldn't sleep and life was crazy and... she missed him.

Kaycee almost ended the call after the fifth ring but then he answered. She heard a rumbling sound in the background as if he was in a place filled with people then the noise of a door opening and closing... then silence and his breathing.

"Kayc?" He finally spoke, his voice raspy from exhaustion.

"Hi." Both of them could feel the relief in her voice because he answered and gosh, she really missed his voice.

A sigh lefts his lips. "Hi."

He was inside some random and empty room of the dance studio, sitting on the floor with his back against the door. He rested his head against the wood as he listened to her breathing for a few seconds.

"I know I shouldn't be calling..." she said, hoping he would interrupt but he didn't, because she really shouldn't. "It's just that..."

She sighed, and he asked: "Bad day?"

"Yes." She answered. "... and I needed to hear from you."

He exhaled at the words, it warmed and also sank his heart the thought that she still needed him. "You shouldn't be calling, we shouldn't be talking. It makes it harder... but I'm glad that you did."