two

[a year and five months before the epilogue] 

For a few seconds, Kaycee just stood there without saying a single thing because she couldn't believe he was there. She had completely forgotten that they were going to meet, that he was going to go to her house — so she could break up with him. 

"I'm gonna leave you two to talk." Said Tahani, walking out of the leaving room to her bedroom. Her words bringing Kaycee back to reality.

"Kaycee?" He called walking a few steps towards her.

She looked at the pregnancy test in her hands and then to him, a movement he followed as if she was his mirror. "Is that a..."

"I'm pregnant." She said in a rush.

The words rolled out of her mouth to create a very surprised Gabe. "For real?"

She nodded with tears in her eyes —without knowing if they were from happiness or sadness. "I think so..." She reached him the test and he took it without thinking twice.

"Two lines mean pregnant?" He asked and once again she nodded, he covered his mouth with one of his hands and she noticed he had tears in his eyes too — but she also couldn't tell if he was happy. "Wow."

He exhaled and sat on the couch, she sat by her side — both of them staring at the walls in front of them, in shock with the news and without knowing what to do. "I don't- I don't know what to say, kayc."

"Me neither." She said.

"I wasn't expecting this." He took a deep breath before his hand reached to hold hers, she almost flinched at the touch because that wasn't what was supposed to be happening right now — again, she was supposed to be breaking up with him.

The truth was that Kaycee had no idea if he ever wanted to be a father, principally with her. They had never really talked about the future, even less a future with each other.

He never talked to her about wanting a family, where he wanted to live when older, how many kids he wanted or this kind of things that any couple that has been together for more than two years probably already talked about — they never really talked about the important things or made huge plans for the future together.

And it was scary to think that they would have to think about all of it now.

"Gabe..." She tried to talk but he was faster.

"A baby it's never a bad thing, right?" He looked at her with a soft but nervous smile. "I mean, we weren't expecting but it would happen eventually, right? And we are very stable adults, we both work and have our ways to make money... I think we can do this, right?"

"That was a lot of questions." She said standing up, starting to panic a bit.

He stood too, walking to stand in front of her — his hands on her upper arm, stroking the skin on it. "Hey, we can do this!" He used his hand to lift her chin. "and this time it's not a question."

He joked and to her surprise she found herself laughing a bit, before taking a deep breath. "But do we want to do this?"

She knew she would never give up a baby but she also understood she didn't want to be with Gabe, not romanticly speaking — but how come she would break up with him in such a moment? she couldn't and didn't want to do this alone.

"Of course we want." He answered for both of them before bringing her to a hug.

"Oh my, I have to call my mother," He said leaving the hug and getting his phone from his pocket, already dialing the number. "have you called your parents yet... Oh hi mom"