twenty-five

"Come on, dude," said Julian. "You've got get out of bed... we run a business together, so I sort of you need you."

"Not today." Said Sean, covering his head with his blanket.

"God, don't make me call Bailey and Ken. You know they ain't as nice as I'm." He said, trying to make a joke and win a laugh, it didn't work.

But Sean sat on his bed, knees up and almost to his chest — he was a mess, to say the least. "I can't win."

"What are you talking about?" Said Julian, sitting at the end of the bed. "Kaycee said she was going to look for a lawyer, get informed... stop jumping to conclusions."

He sighed. "Still... even if he doesn't get what he wants now he will live his life to make Kaycee's a hell. It's ridiculous, he doesn't even care for Jia or does love Kaycee, he just cares about coming out on top."

"I really thought he would change, you know... after he started dating Kayc." Said Julian. "He was always kind of a douche but I thought Kaycee's goodness would rub a bit on him, guess you can't change a person."

"I don't know how to help, the only thing that comes to my mind is... letting them go." He said with sadness in his voice. "But God, I can't see myself living life, building a family, and growing old with anyone... you know there's just Kayc for me."

"I know, you guys are just... Sean and Kaycee." Said Julian, summed up.

"Yeah... wish I hadn't thought like so when we were kids. I kept believing 'oh we are Sean and Kaycee, nothing is gonna change that, I have all the time in the world' and look at us now." He sighed. "Wish I had had the balls to just go for it when we were younger, we would've avoided all of this mess."

Sean sighed again, Julian asked. "What?"

"But then we wouldn't have Jia." He said as if it would be a big loss. "Damn Jules, I love that kid so much... not even for a second I hesitate to say that she's mine. Fuck I have a pack'n'play in my office, I carry an extra bag of diapers in my car... I cook baby food from scratch for her."

Julian laughed. "You are such a dad."

"I know!" They both laughed. "... this sucks."

"I know bro, but come on, we got keep living until we have answers." Said Julian. "I'm gonna make us some coffee and you go take a shower, 'cause you are stinking."

"Fineeeeee." He said grudgingly.

Two weeks passed without Sean having news from Kaycee in regards to how they could fix the situation — they kept texting but agreed to not see each other in person. It was devastating for both of them, and for Jia too.

"So... we are trying mac n cheese today?" Asked Bailey — she was in Kaycee's kitchen sitting on a stool while the other cooked baby food.

Kaycee sighed. "I've done everything, mac n cheese are my last chance of getting this girl to eat something other than milk... she refuses everything I give her."

"She's probably missing Sean's food." Joked Bailey.

"Smart girl, he's a way better chef than I'm." They laughed. "That Devon's friend who is a lawyer called me this morning."