ten

the weight of the world is love under the burden of solitude. 

[two months after the epilogue]

Kaycee was alone in the world with her daughter. If she were, to be honest, now she could see that in reality, it had been like so from the start, it had always been just the two of them from the moment she figured she was pregnant to all the others after.

The baby girl wasn't planned, in fact, Kaycee wasn't even to continue in her relationship if it wasn't for the pregnancy because she was done lying to herself. Yes, she had been in love with her husband — by the time, boyfriend — at some point, but then that weekend happened and everything changed.

She went to Australia for a dance workshop with her partner and best friend, and in that week she learned how being loved felt like and she really enjoyed it — they've made a mistake that felt good and when she went back home she was going to fix it, she was ready to end everything with her boyfriend but then a pregnancy test got in the way, then an engagement and a wedding a few months after.

To get married to Gabe was a thought move, a way to try to make things work and it was what everyone said they should do, so she married the boyfriend she didn't love and watched who she really loved moving to the other side of the world, as a way to be away from her.

They vowed to never talk about that weekend with anyone and to really keep their distance from each other to give it a fair chance for her to build her family and for him to forget about her. And since then, she has been feeling alone.

But up until this moment, it was only a feeling — she got home from the marketplace with her baby wrapped to her body in a sling and some bags in hand, she found it weird how quiet the house was because Gabe was supposed to be home by now.

She left the groceries on the kitchen countertop as she walked through the house, shouting for her husband to try and find him, gaining no response back. As she walked inside their bedroom she noticed that the closet's doors were open and a note over the bed — she didn't even need to read the note to know that his side of the closet was empty.

He was gone and now the feeling of being alone wasn't just a feeling anymore, he left her and her daughter without even trying to say goodbye — in the note, he said that he couldn't do it in person because it was too painful, he said that he loved Jia but he couldn't keep going in this relationship when he felt like she didn't love him anymore.

She wanted to scream in anger but she didn't because it would wake up the baby in her arms, she went back downstairs and called her best friend, that was there in her house in less than ten minutes.

"Oh my god, honey what happened?" Tahani asked as soon as the door opened because Kaycee's eyes were drowning in the tears she was trying to hold.

"He's gone!" She said angry but without raising her voice because her daughter was still wrapped around her, and the little girl was the one thing keeping her sane. "He waited for us to be out, then he packed all his things and left."

Tahani didn't seem surprised. "I telling you that he left me and you don't look a bit surprised?"

The other took a deep breath and pulled Kaycee to sit with her on the couch. "This won't be easy for you to hear but... Josh said that he saw him and Tati together last weekend, at the workshop in New York, like really together. And he thinks it might be something that it's going on for a while now."

Kaycee was in shock at her friend's words. "I can't believe this, I can't believe he would do that to me... to us." She talked about her and her daughter. "Since when do you know this?"