three

[a year and four months before the epilogue] 

A month and a half ago she wasn't pregnant, she was sharing a very small apartment with her best friend and she was about to end everything with her boyfriend so she could be happy with her best friend— now she was pregnant and throwing an engagement party for her and the boyfriend she doesn't love at their new house. 

From the moment they told their parents, everything happened too fast for her or for anyone to keep up. One night she was throwing up in the small bathroom of the apartment she lived in for the past four years and the other, she was packing her things and moving to this new huge house that her brother got her as a gift to my niece or nephew'.

Gabe was thrilled with the gift, Kaycee not so much but she accepted with a fake smile on her face, not because she didn't love how thoughtful and loving her brother's action was but because it was just then that she realized she was gonna have to move in Gabe — and by the way, a fake smile became her natural face as it was the only way she could deal with everything that it was happening.

Four days after they moved to the new house and with most of their things still in boxes, Gabe decided to give a dinner for the family of both of them in which he caught Kaycee by surprise in the middle of a toast by asking her to marry him, her answer: a shake of head followed by a fake smile, because that was what they were supposed to do — at least that was what she kept listening out of everyone's mouth in form of advice.

So now they were throwing an engagement party in the new house to their families and their friends — Kaycee was in the corner of the room watching Gabe walking around smiling and being a good host, laughing and talking to people about how everything was unexpected but that he was so happy about it.

And if she were, to be honest, she felt bad for not loving him back because she could see that he was trying to make everything goes perfectly for them and he was really excited about the idea of building a family with her and life by her side.

Kaycee wanted to be feeling like that too because she knew it was the best for the kid inside of her but then, her eyes would drift from Gabe being happy to Sean, sitting in the corner of her new couch, pretending to be happy just like she was — and suddenly it was really tough to try to have this new life knowing that the man she loved was a few feet away from her and he loved her too.

"I can't believe you are pregnant and engaged, love." Bailey appeared by her side, reaching her a glass of champagne.

Kaycee denied. "I can't."

"Oh right, pregnancy." Said the other, drinking Kaycee's glass in one gulp. "I drink for you, by the way, very good quality champagne, my friend."

"Thanks, Gabe choose it." She said without much joy.

"He's very happy, uh? Never pictured him being the father kind but he seems to be really happy about it..." Said Bailey and the other just nodded macking her chuckled. "You on the other hand."

"I've just been feeling really tired these days, the doctor said it's normal for the first trimester." She used the pregnancy as an excuse for her lack of excitement, as she has been doing a lot.

"Right, man you're really growing a human being inside of you, that's crazy." She said. "You wanna know another crazy thing?"

Kaycee looked at her with a frown as she kept going. "I've never thought you and Gabe would be endgame. I guess I've always thought you and Sean would get together at some point as we all believed it would happen when we were kids. You know, like it was with Julian and Chloe then with me and Ken... I guess you two are really just best friends after all."