thirty

first: thanks for the comments on the previous chapters, it really motivates

the second: new boocoveeeeeeer, what did you guys think?

third: this story is loosely inspired by james bay's song but i wanted to add this song called "father" from demi lovato to this chapter, especially the quote in the picture above.

fourth:  - love yall

_________________________

It wasn't a complete shock when the paperwork appeared at her door, she knew it would happen eventually... she just wasn't expecting 'eventually'  to come so soon.

But one good thing came out of all of this, at least Sean and Kaycee didn't need to hide anymore. They were now totally open about their relationship and the fact they were engaged.

The bad thing was that Kaycee couldn't really enjoy it because she couldn't think about anything other than getting ready to fight for her daughter's custody.

The lawyer said she had a good case and that Gabe didn't have much chance — we just need a woman judge and it will be a piece of cake, her lawyer's voiced echoed through her mind as a man walked inside the courtroom. It was a man. The judge was a man.

Now her hands were sweating and she started to regret every choice she had ever made. Gabe's attorney was rude, sexist, and basically, a bully, saying all sort of things to make the judge believe she was a bad mom and that Sean was a dangerous influence to Jia — Kaycee couldn't raise her eyes away from the ring in her hand because it was a peaceful totem, looking at it she would feel as if she was back at home with Jia and Sean. Back with her family.

Kaycee's attorney wasn't as harsh on Gabe as he was on Kaycee. The woman just pointed facts about Gabe's absence and lack of interest in being in Jia's life.

Kaycee looked at Gabe while her lawyer's voices filled the background noise, she wondered: how the hell we got here? — honestly, if she could she would ask him because all of it felt unreal.

He was once her friend. He was once someone who made her laugh. He was once someone who knew her favorite color, favorite drink, and favorite food. She was once his friend. She was once someone who knew his favorite songs, favorite season, and favorite star wars character.

She was once someone he loved. He was once someone she loved. They were once someone important in each other's lives and now they were yelling at each other through lawyers' mouths, not even facing face to face.

As he was giving his statement, Kaycee looked back at her ring and then she felt sorry for Gabe, because he could fight all he wanted but he would never have her love — she felt sorry because it was really sad that she couldn't give him the love he wanted.

But being fair, he couldn't love her as she wanted either.

When her time came, she was ready to just say all the things she practiced a hundred times with the lawyer, but when she opened her mouth some other words fell out of it.

"This is really exhausting and scary, your honor. I had this speech ready but I don't think those words make sense anymore." She took a deep breath, eyes watering.