five

[a year before the epilogue] 

She left the doctor's office in a rush getting her phone in her hands as she got in her car, in the middle of the excitement she dialed the number from the top of her head, only noticing the mistake when his voice sounded on the other end.

"Kaycee?" As he called her name her mind went blank, suddenly she didn't even know what was happening. "Kayc? Are you there? Is everything okay?"

"Hi." She said, awkwardly.

He breathed out, finally hearing her voice cause the silence was worrying him. He answered in a raspy voice, from someone asleep: "Hi."

"Gosh, I'm so sorry, I don't really know why I called you." She said, ashamed of herself because she knew this shouldn't be happening.

"It's everything okay?" He asked and she was surprised he didn't end the call right away.

"Uhm... I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't be calling. Omg, I'm so so sorry. It's just that I just left the doctor's office and he gave me an envelope with the gender and I was so excited I didn't even realize I was calling you until I heard your voice." She blurted the words out, in a rush.

"Oh, slow down there, Rainbowrice." He said, making her laugh and take a breath.

He talked again as she tried to regain her breath. "So you have an envelope with the gender and you called me first?"

She inhaled before exhaling with calm. ".... I guess my brain it's used to search for you when it has good news."

He chuckled. "So, did you opened?"

"I want to." She said after a sigh. "But Gabe wanted to do this whole gender reveal thing and all."

She said embarrassed for touching Gabe's name — he answered: "I see."

They stayed in silence for a while. "How's China?"

"Good." He answered without much.

"Okay, this was a mistake, right? I mean, it really was a mistake cause I wasn't thinking when I called you, it was my pregnancy brain..." She said, running her fingers through her hair. "But thank you for answering."

He sighed as she heard some noise — it was the middle of the day in Los Angeles, so it was probably early in the morning there for him. "We agreed in emergencies only... of course I would answer."

His answer hurt her — he didn't answer because he wanted, he answered because he thought he needed to. "Okay, I'm sorry for waking you up."

"Wait, wait, wait..." He called as he sighed, voice getting softer. "I'm sorry for acting weird it's just that..."

"This is weird." She completed his phrase.

"Yeah... I mean, you just got your baby's gender and you called me first instead of..." He trailed off, not wanting to say her husband's name.

"I know and I'm really sorry." She rested her head in the seat. "It's just that there are so many things happening and all I want to do it's to tell you but you not here, and can't reach. So there are all of these things trapped on me and I guess this one slipped out the cage."

"It's hard for me too. I was so used to calling you to talk about my day before bed when it was a day that we didn't see each other... that I found myself getting home and almost calling you, at the top of my head, without even thinking." He admits and hearing such a thing makes her happier. he misses me too.