(1) Dylan's Hidden Talent

"Dylan in your mom left you this with her will." her grandmother Katherine said 

"Oh.. okay" she said as she opened the envelope.

"My Dearest Dylan,

My little sunshine please don't be sad when you read this we knew this day would come when the cancer came back. I love you sunshine now mama needs you to do be brave for me and tune up your guitar cause I have a list of songs for you to sing and play with Uncle Brandon and Aunt Katie with just like I did all those years at my funeral. You are my strong girl I know you can do it sweetheart it will be painful but I will be there baby watching with a smile on my face and grandma will be there if you forget the words. I love you sunshine and I'll see you when I see you baby girl.

                                              Love, Mom" 

She wiped tears and opened up the other paper where her mom wrote the songs on. Katherine hugged her grand daughter and said "It's okay baby she fought a good long fight we both know that. Her body just couldn't take it anymore." 

"I know but it still hurts." Dylan said 

A few days later it was her mama's funeral she walked in with her guitar case with her dad and her best friend Natasha and Natasha's mom or rather her dad's fiancée since he was going to marry her best friend's mom. Her uncle Brandon walked up to her and said "Come on sweetheart let's get you tuned up." 

"Yeah." she said 

She followed him up to the altar as she saw her mom in the casket and took a deep breathe. Katie and Brandon both hugged her. She got her guitar plugged in and she had Brandon helped her get tuned up and mic tested. Her mom Mary Ann taught her how to play just like her when she was just 4 years old then her grandma heard her sing one day as she watched her mom sing in the church and started to give her grand daughter vocal lessons cause that's what she did for a job for a long time. 

After the minister did his portion of the service Brandon and her walked up to the altar. Natasha looked at her dad and said "Bill what is she doing?'

"You'll see she may be your best friend but there is some things you don't know about my sweet Dylan." Bill said 

Then she started to sing and play "See You Again" by Carrie Underwood. Dylan closed her eyes and started the first verse. Katherine smiled so big and whispered "That's my girl." 

Nat's mouth dropped open and whispered "My God." 

Bill smiled and said "Just like Mary Ann." 

She sang a few more songs then the funeral service was over. Nat came over to her and said "how in the world have we been friends this long and I didn't know you could do that." as she hugged her.

Dylan smiled and said "Well you know I don't like to let it be known. Mainly cause I get told I should try out for the Voice and I don't want to it's just a hobby." 

"A hobby that you are amazing at. You are so quiet except when we cheer and then you belt out like that." Natasha said 

"Okay Nat calm down." Dylan said as she closed her guitar. 

Katherine hugged her and said "You did amazing sunshine you looked just like your mama up there."

"Thanks grandma" she said 

A few months later Brandon called Dylan and said "Dylan .. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your grandma has passed away." 

"NO!" she yelled. 

"Dylan.. I'm sorry we have been at the hospital since 4 this morning she had a stroke." Brandon said 

Bill came running into her bedroom and said "Pumpkin what's wrong?" 

Dylan was completely distraught and he took her phone and saw who was on the other line. "Brandon what's going on?' Bill said 

'Hey Bill..mom passed this morning." Brandon said 

"Oh gosh.. Brandon I am so sorry. Um keep us updated on everything concerning the funeral." Bill said

"I will Bill..tell Dylan to get her guitar ready cause I know mom requested the same thing as Mary Ann but except it was suppose to be me Mary Ann and Katie but since well you know she can stand in Mary Ann's place." Brandon said

"Okay I will let her know." Bill said and hung up Dylan's cellphone. 

A few days later Dylan did her best to sing and play with her uncle. That night in a big box she threw all of her talent show trophies ribbons sheet music karaoke cds her cheerleading stuff all in the box and put the lid on it and hid it in the back of her closet along with her guitar. 

Bill watched as she filled her box through the crack of the door and looked down. Natasha's mom Natalia said "Are you okay?'

"I have feeling losing Katherine and Mary Ann two of the biggest pillars in her life within a few months of each other has caused my daughter to lose her spark. She's packing everything up that has to do with her music and her cheering." BIll said as they walked to their bedroom.