Chapter 28 - staying longer

After another 4 hours of waiting without any news, Ney finally managed to get me in bed. I was so exhausted I realized by that day’s events I passed out very quick.

But I woke up to a phone call, my eyes flew open and I shot up. 'My phone! Where’s my phone?’ 

Ney sat up straight as he started looking for it. 'Here’ He murmured while handing it to me. 'Thank you..’ I mouthed while picking up. 'Hello?’ I swallowed. 'Goodmorning, Megan..’ My dad’s voice sounded weak.

'Dad, how is she? How are you?’ 

'We’re tired.. She just got back from surgery. It’s .. Complicated. Do you think you can come over?’ 

I softly bit on my lip. 'Yes, we’ll be coming.. We’ll be there soon.’ After that the line went dead and I sat there, staring at my phone. 

'Babe? What did he said?’ He looked at me while caressing my back. 'He asked if we could come over.. He said that it was complicated.’ He nodded while pushing the blanket of off us. 'Let’s get ready.’ He smiled a little and I tried to smile back.

'It’ll be fine..’ He pressed a kiss on my mouth before disappearing in the bathroom.

'She hasn’t woke up yet..’ My dad muffled while squeezing his wife against him. He looked at her while stroking her hair. 'She .. She’s in a bad condition.’ 

I bit on my lip. 'How bad?’ I softly said while grabbing Ney’s hand again. 

My dad looked up with tears in his eyes. 'They don’t know if she’ll ever wake up, honey..’

I sat on the chair next to her bed and looked at her white peaceful face. I gently grabbed her hand and stroked the back of it with my thumb. 'You’ll be fine, granny..’ I murmured. 'You’ll be just fine. You’ll go home and I’ll come by to bake a cake. I promise..’ I softly said while looking at her. 'Please, wake up.’ I sniffed. Ney kneeled down by me and stroked my back. 'You’re okay?’ I looked down at him.

'Yeah..’ I sadly smiled at him before returning my gaze back to my grandma. 'I’m going to get a drink..’ He murmured before exiting the room. 

'I remember your reaction when I told you I was going to be working for Victoria Secret.’ I softly chuckled while taking her hand back in mine. 'You were so proud. You kept repeating it over and over again.’

I looked at our hands and bit on my lip. 'And you were so shocked when you heard how many times my Vogue cover was sold.. And I was to.’ I wiped a tear away with the back of my hand while softly laughing. 'We celebrated by making cake and tiramisu, we were so full after that..’ I murmured.

'Or the moment I called you to tell we finally became a couple.. You were so proud, you were so happy..’ Tears were trickling down on my cheeks and I pressed a kiss on her hand. 

'Please, wake up.. vó, we love you. We love you so much, you can’t leave us..’

Ney his hand was stroking up and down on my back without saying a word. My head was resting against his shoulder while I was looking outside. 'Ney, I can’t go home..’ My gaze was still focused outside. 

'I know, we’ll stay some longer and..’ I shook my head, not letting him finish his sentence 'You can’t miss a game, there are important games coming up.’ He stopped stroking my back and shuffled a little.

'Yes, they are important. But not as important as you..’ I laced our fingers together. 

'Ney, they don’t know how long she’s going to be like this..’ He shuffled a little again so he could look at me. 'Meg, I don’t think that it is a good idea..’ I shrugged. 'I have my family.. And yours! I have Rafa.’ He bit on his lip while scanning my face with his eyes. 'No, I’m staying.. Gerardo will understand it, everyone will understand..’ 

I laid back down again and swallowed. 'Thank you.. For being here for me..’ I softly said. His hands were warm against my stomach. 'Anytime, honey.’ I laid my hands on his and smiled. 

'Hey Davi!’ Ney and me said at the same time. We both looked at each other while smiling before returning our gaze at the screen. Davi was sitting at Carol her lap. His mouth was a little dirty because of the chocolate he was eating. 'How is your vacation going?’ Carol asked while smiling at us via the camera. Ney looked at me for a second before returning his gaze once again back at the screen. 'It’s nice.. How is your break?’ 

It was good they still got along so well. It was also a positive point for me because Carol and me were very close friends and I wouldn’t want it any other way. 

Can you imagine that Ney couldn’t bare that Carol and me were still talking? That would be .. difficult. 

We talked for another while before sliding under the covers and thinking about what the next day would bring us.

'I talked to our trainer today..’ He murmured. I could feel his hot minty breath softly stroking on my forehead. We both were silent for a moment. 'Why?’ I bit on my lip. 

'I asked if it was okay to stay longer because you needed me..’ I bit on my lip before shifting a little. 

'It’s okay for him. He said we could take our time..’ I swallowed. 'That’s .. Generous..’ He softly laughed. 'Yeah .. Generous, honey.’ He kissed me before pulling the covers decently over us. 'Time to sleep..’