3. Oaxaca

Human Name: Xiadani Juárez Díaz

Gender: Muxe (Transgender Female)

Age: 21 Years Old

Before Statehood: Prior to Spanish arrival, the region was inhabited by many indigenous groups, the most notable include the Zapotecs and the Mixtecs. After the Fall of Tenochtitlan in 1521, the first Spaniards arrived in the region, building the settlement known as Guajaca (later respelled as Oaxaca) a year later; the settlers would relocate to Antequera in 1529 due to disputes with Hernan Cortés. Rather than fight the Spanish, most of the indigenous groups negotiated with them, allowing them to retain most of their customs; the groups that resisted retreated into the remote wilderness which also assisted the retainment of their customs. Many years later, Oaxaca became an intendancy (a type of province) of New Spain in 1787. After the Mexican War of Independence, Oaxaca became a state of Mexico in 1824.

Statehood: December 21, 1823 (3rd)

Hair Color: Dark Chocolate Brown

Eye Color: Hazel

Notable Traits: Her hair is worn in an updo. Typically, she wears a predominantly white, floral huipil and a long, yellow skirt. She'll also sport a light green rebozo around her shoulders. She likes to wear makeup, but she uses it sparingly for special occasions. She tends to attract sea turtles whenever she's in a good mood.

Favorite Foods/Drinks: Chapulines (Fried Crickets), Mezcal (alcohol), Mole (she loves all kinds, but her favorite is Black Mole), Quesillo (aka Oaxaca Cheese), Tejate (maize and cacao drink)

Favorites: Alebrije (sculptures), Cooking, Embroidery, Pottery, Tambora Oaxaqueña (music)

Personality: Compassionate and Private. For a long time, she struggled with being an outcast in order to protect herself until the late 19th century did she find the confidence to embrace her unique identity to start making a difference. While bold enough to speak her mind, she tends to crumble easily whenever she feels attacked or dejected. Despite this, she won't ever hold a grudge. She may not be the most sociable person in the world, however, everyone can agree she's the most creative when it comes to her tasty recipes and colorful handcrafts.

~

Feel free to vote or comment any thoughts on my Oaxaca OC here.