19. Chiapas

Human Name: Cecilia Sandoval Sabines

Gender: Female

Age: 19 Years Old

Before Statehood: The region was named after the Chiapa tribe who inhabited the land prior to the Spanish's arrival. After the Fall of the Aztec Empire, the Spanish first entered the area in 1522. In 1790, the City of Chiapa in addition to other cities within the region such as Soconusco and Tuxtla were combined into a Spanish province of New Spain known as Chiapas. In 1821, the region became independent from Spain, however, it was split on whether to join Mexico as a state or Guatemala as a part of the United Provinces of Central America. After a referendum, Chiapas ended up becoming a Mexican state in 1824.

Statehood: September 14, 1824 (19th)

Hair Color: Coffee Brown

Eye Color: Amber

Notable Traits: Long, curly hair in a single braid. Chestnut brown skin. Her traditional dress is a black, colorfully floral dress. She wears a few quetzal feathers in her hair. She has a quetzal as a companion.

Favorite Foods/Drinks: Chanfaina (tripe stew), Chiapanecan Tamales, Cochito Horneado (roasted suckling pig), Sopa de Pan (Bread Soup), Tascalate (chocolate drink)

Favorites: Amber, Chiapanecan Lacquer (pottery), Conservation Biology, Playing Marimba, Traditional Mexican Toys

Personality: Colorful and Hospitable. Despite being one of the poorest states in Mexico, she manages to keep a friendly smile on her face, pushing through all sorts of hardships and difficulties. While she doesn't mind her quaint lifestyle, she's hopeful for change over the horizon. Not just for herself, she wishes to better the lives of both people and animals, so she's always working to make sure everyone is happy. On a side note, she maintains a close relationship with Guatemala, much to Mexico's envy.

~

Feel free to vote or comment any thoughts on my Chiapas OC here.