25. Campeche

Human Name: Lázaro Campana Castro

Gender: Male

Age: 18 Years Old

Before Statehood: The Spanish first arrived at a Maya settlement they called Lazaro in 1517. During the Spanish conquest of the Yucatán Peninsula, the port of Campeche was established in 1540. In 1774, Campeche was recognized as a city of New Spain. After Mexico became independent from Spain in 1824, Campeche wanted to join the republic as a state, however, its petition was declined, forcing them to live with Yucatán, much to the ire of many residents. After following and fighting Yucatán constantly, representatives of both regions agreed to split the territory in 1858, allowing Campeche to become a Mexican state.

Statehood: April 29, 1863 (25th)

Hair Color: Cocoa Brown

Eye Color: Jade Green

Notable Traits: He has a curl at the top center of his head. Almond brown skin. Shorter than average height. Typically, he wears a guayabera (summer shirt) and a pair of brown trousers. He has a spider monkey as a companion.

Favorite Foods/Drinks: Camarones al Coco (shrimp seasoned with coconut), Camarones al Orégano (shrimp seasoned with oregano), Caviar Campechano, Pan de Cazón (shark casserole), Panuchos (refried tortillas)

Favorites: Jarana Yucateca (dance), Jazz (music), Rainbows, Sailing Ships, Treasure Hunting

Personality: Impish and Swashbuckling. Long ago, he was a valiant youth who fought to protect his people from evil pirates and his pesky sister who refused to leave him alone. Things have calmed down since those turbulent times, yet a part of him still yearns for those 'glory days'. He tends to distract himself with mischief, but he's usually relaxed for the most part. On a side note, he holds a grudge against Yucatán.

~

Feel free to vote or comment any thoughts on my Campeche OC here.