3 • OFFICIALLY A HAWK

july 2018

july 2018

THE BLACKHAWKS developmental camp had come to a close after a solid week. The camp had gone fantastically for the young female goalie. She was able to shine during her time in the crease and left the other prospects and coaches in awe. Apart of her didn't know how she pulled it off, she assumed it was luck and her adrenaline carrying her. The entire time, from when Parker awoke, to playing on the ice, working out and then going to bed- she was nervous. Her chest was in constant knots and everything made her stomach lurch. She wasn't this sort of person, she was normally so calm.

Parker was now packing her bags, getting ready to start heading back to her hotel room. She wasn't quite sure what would be happening next, there wasn't anymore college hockey for her to head back to. And maybe that was why she was really so nerve-wracked. The fear of the unknown with her situation was finally hitting her. She didn't have a plan if hockey didn't work out. She didn't even bother to try to find a job, she had to figure something out. And she'd work for it endlessly if she had to.

As one of the last people still in the MB Ice Arena locker room; she was taking it all in. The love she had for this game was far beyond anything else. Her chest felt filled with emotions that she could hardly comprehend. To be here always meant the world, but Parker was determined to make more of herself, and do whatever it would take.

Parker jumped at the sound of a door closing, breaking her deep train of thought. Standing only feet from her was Coach Quenneville. She had brief conversations with the head coach before; which, he always had some sort of praise to throw her way, along with ways to improve her game. He was a fairly intimidating older man who had mounds of respect and knowledge; and being a decorated coach made her feel awestruck to be in his presence.

Her voice felt caught in her throat as she could only straighten her posture to, hopefully, look more professional. It was rare for Parker to feel so off balanced and taken back in a situation. She was one of the most calm-minded people who was unbothered by a lot. Playing things cool was something she was good at. Except for right now, she was sure she looked terrified.

"Miss Sullivan, if you could follow me." With a confident nod, Parker strode after Quenneville. She clutched to her bag as she did her best to keep in stride with the Coach.

It felt like an eternity before the two arrived at the office, every twist and turn they took made the young girl feel sick to her stomach. As Parker walked into the Blackhawk's Head Coach's office, the one person she immediately noticed was- Stan Bowman. Her heart basically dropped at the sight of him sitting, with white paperwork crisp against the dark wooded desk. She couldn't stop her mind from wandering.

"Take a seat," The two men had taken their seats and stared at the girl with assuring looks on their faces, "we're very happy with your improvement over the last four years." Quenneville smiled at her through his mustache. He decided to cut right to the chase with her.