17 • CHRISTMAS

CHRISTMAS TIME was normally filled with wonders for Miss Parker Sullivan

CHRISTMAS TIME was normally filled with wonders for Miss Parker Sullivan. The cold around that time may have been brutal, but the joy of the holidays made it bearable. Lights, decorations, and presents lined the city of Chicago and people's homes. She adored everything about this time of the year, as everyone seemed so much happier. This was when people could put their differences aside and be connected.

But this year things were different for her. The sadness she felt for the first time during the holidays was the fact she'd be alone for Christmas. She normally would have been back in Texas celebrating and having an amazing time. She wished her family could come out to see her, but things were crazy back home and it wasn't working out. And her teammates were all busy with their own families as well. It was frustrating for her to be laying around and finding ways to entertain herself.

Apart of her wished they had games and more practice rather then getting off for the Holidays, and that was coming from the girl who needed to catch up on her sleep.

              It was Christmas Day, and Parker was sprawled on her couch watching the infamous Hallmark movies. She personally enjoyed them, the girl and guy always falling in love and being happy. Ideally, she would have liked that but seeing it on TV was good enough at least. A girl could dream for that perfect man. That made her think about Patrick, of course. She would've adored having that type of cute and committed love, as cliche as it sounded. Soon she wondered how his night was going, if by any chance he was thinking of her too. She

"You gotta be kidding me," Parker was mindlessly scrolling through her social media when she saw a bunch of Snapchat videos that made her heart sink. Her cousin had videos up of their families all together, alcohol present, and looking like they were having the time of their lives. With her chest burning with jealousy, she threw her phone down with the images of laughter and good times circling in her head. She had every right to be upset she thought, this sucked.

Earlier she had facetimed with them and opened the presents they sent her, but it just wasn't the same.

Parker's eyes were soon brimming with tears. She didn't want to be alone, she absolutely hated being alone. It made her feel meek and insecure for some reason, maybe it was just one of her flaws, always needed people around. Maybe it was why she had gotten so attached to Patrick and Alex, knowing they could be right there all the time. Her access to them was easy and right now that was not the case.

The sound of the TV blaring a sweet romance drowned out Parker's oncoming sobs. Her eyes became red and puffy, her head starting to ache. Crying drained the poor girl and made her feel even worse. She could only scold herself as she cried, knowing she'd end up with a killer headache as usual. But once the flood gates open there was no stopping it.