20 • CONFUSION

THEY WERE running away from their feelings for each other

              THEY WERE running away from their feelings for each other. Patrick and Parker became stuck in this endless circle of them trying to avoid each other, as they were scared of what the other would say. They became so caught up in their own actions and how it would affect the other- that they didn't realize how much it was hurting themselves.

Patrick had wanted to try to talk to Parker about it. He tried to get her alone, but now she'd barely acknowledge him. She started to catch rides with Alex and Dylan, kept her head down whenever he was around. It hurt. His heart would beat crazily when she was there, and when she wasn't- he could hardly breathe. He was scared he brought this on himself, and now it was impacting his every thought. There was no perfect solution to all this, all he knew was that he couldn't force anything onto her.

"Give it time! She's probably still processing things. But I know how much you mean to her," That's what Jacqueline had told him when he called her distraught. He was trying to hold onto her words and give it time, but a week was starting to come and go, and he couldn't do this dance anymore. He missed her. Could he even say that? It hadn't been that long, but the impact she had on his life was tremendous. Patrick got along with her almost better than some guys on his team, she was a confidante for him and he just adored her.

But maybe he needed to back off until she came to him.

Patrick found himself in Jonathan's place as it started to get late. He didn't want to talk to his sisters about this anymore, he wanted his best friends advice. Not only did he think Jon would probably put him through a lecture, he figured it'd be the same one his sisters gave. But he really needed someone to talk to that opinion could be more tailored to him.

"Have some food if you want it." Jon grabbed a plate and sat next to him. On the plate looked to be a basic chicken salad.

"I'm okay." Pat's appetite had been decreased the last few days.

"About time you came to me to talk about whatever it is. Noticing somethings been up." Jon took a sip of water from the glass he was holding. The two were sitting at the breakfast bar in his kitchen. Patrick hadn't even took his shoes off, his jacket was hung up on the chair. He couldn't say his friend looked depressed, but that he was greatly bothered.

"Uh yeah it's been kinda weird lately."

He chuckled, "Parker reject you?"

"What, no!" he countered back, "Well, my sisters decided to play matchmaker and I think she got freaked out. Hasn't talked to me at all."

"I kinda picked up on how flakey she's been. Figured it had to do with you." as Captain, Jonny would normally have approached her, but this was something they needed to figure out.