4 • NEW TEAM

SHINING RAYS of the morning sun peaked in through the slightly open curtains

       SHINING RAYS of the morning sun peaked in through the slightly open curtains. Every edge of the hotel room was filled with glitters of light against the cream walls. Inside the room, Parker stood in the bathroom shower. Warm water cascaded down her body and it felt like heaven as it took away any of her stress. The mirrors were fogged up and the steam filled the room making the young goalie able to relax.

Things were looking bright. Parker was right where she wanted to be in life and it still felt like it wasn't happening. She's always taken every change in life with a good mindset because change never bothered her. Basically things in general didn't bother her. However, this was making her nervous as hell. She felt this way before meeting each new team she's joined- being the only girl in the locker room causes that. She felt at home during her time in the USHL and being with guys she knew on the NTDP Team. College was the best experience of all though. The friends and memories she made would laugh a lifetime she was sure. Parker knew she'd miss playing in Michigan, but here she was in Chicago. It doesn't get much better than this-

Yet she hoped she could fit in here just like she did on her past teams.

It had been weeks since she signed her three year entry level contract. She got to go home for a little bit until she returned to Chicago in August to start working with her new goalie coach. And today, the members of the Blackhawks would be in town and she'd get to finally meet them.

Soon the water came to a stop with the squeaking of the handle. Parker stepped out of the shower and wrapped one of the white towel around her body to escape the sudden chill. She exited the bathroom and went to sit on her bed. Exasperated she laid back and the white sheets were soon getting wet from her hair. Staring up at the ceiling, a sudden wave of nervousness cross over her. She felt a pang of something. And she knew what it was.

Parker was having withdrawals. The amount of alcohol she drank for years on end was hitting her full force. At times she couldn't sleep; other times she'd sit there shaking in the shower trying to drown her tears out. It's now been a month and she felt slightly better, she didn't feel like she needed to drink constantly.

Breaking her cloud of thought, she heard a buzz come from the nightstand, a text she immediately recognized.

Hey I'll pick you up around 12 -J Toews

"Shit." Parker looked at the clock and saw the digits reading 11:14. Dropping the phone back onto the wooden side table, she jumped up to get ready. For a brief moment she allowed herself to get caught up and forget about her commitment in the coming time. It was a casual thing at a restaurant that management rented out, and she was thankful there wouldn't be any hockey for once. She could just focus on meeting everyone.

It hadn't been a surprise when Jonathan first reached out only hours after she signed. He was known for being an attentive and respected Captain. They decided a few weeks ago that when he was in town again they would meet up. The two got lunch and they were able to get to know each other pretty well. Meeting Jonathan Toews was absolutely nerve wracking, at least until they got talking. But she got to meet a 3x Stanley Cup Champion who people adored. He was amazing at the game and getting to pick his brain over a meal was a top ten moment for her.