18 • WINTER CLASSIC PT1

PATRICK AND Parker were mutually pining for each other

             PATRICK AND Parker were mutually pining for each other. They knew what was up, but they couldn't bring themselves to cross that line. It was heartbreaking but lovely, all at the same time. Their shared emotions and appreciation for each other was rare, so pure that it was hard to ignore; to the point it was killing both of them on the inside. Patrick yearned to be with her in the ways he wanted; to be able to hold her and make her his. He knew he could be the one to love her properly and make sure she was safe.

Every time they sat together on the couch playing video games or watching tv, or going out to get food- Patrick had to hold himself back from doing something he'd regret, all because of how he felt. There could be many repercussions from them choosing to be together, and Patrick couldn't risk her reputation. Both of them could get in trouble, more her than him, and he couldn't have that. Those thoughts plagued the winger day and night to the point it was becoming unbearable.

He never thought he'd actually fall in love with Parker. She was so much younger- and a teammate that he would be with every single day. He wanted to view her as just another girl, or that she was another one of his younger sisters. He tried. Patrick desperately tried to keep his emotions at bay and keep his thoughts away from her. Everything that girl did made him feel like he was losing his mind- he utterly adored her. She made his insides feel like they were filled with butterflies and electricity ran down his spine at the slightest touch of their skin.

Patrick was 30 now, he wanted to have a life partner; someone he could spend his time with and feel loved. The last few years had shown him how much he wanted to settle down, and he slowly started to think that Parker could be the one. And they weren't even together. That killed him, but he knew he was the one who needed to change that.

              The Hawks were having their family skate and Patrick's eyes soon found Parker. She was with her parents, holding her mom's hand. He watched with peculiar eyes as Alex and Dylan skated around them and they were clearly yelling something. Soon Dylan and Parker fell to the ice in a fit of laughter. A slight sense of jealousy would burn in Patrick's chest when she spent her time with them laughing and smiling. He felt selfish by thinking that way, but when you've fallen for someone it's hard not to.

"Ooo someone got some competition?" Pat's sister Jessica couldn't help but see her brother's narrowed eyes. By now the three Kane sisters were well aware of how their dear big brother felt. Eventually they even got him to spill, "just kidding you know that!"

"I'm aware," he finally tore his eyes away from Parker and refocused on his family.

"Would love to get to meet her family," Erica said, "and hopefully get to know her more, especially since you're in love with her."

"Can't believe you could score a girl like her, seriously so hot." Jacqueline playfully shoved Patrick, "look at you go."

He was starting to blush, he obviously knowing just how good of a catch Parker was. She had to be considered out of his league in every way possible, the only thing helping him was being an elite hockey player. Patrick wanted her to think he would be a good partner and worth trying.